Q plates and first MOT

SparkyB

Just had to re-tax my westy for the first time and ran into a bit of hassle at the post office.

My renewal form was asking for a MOT certificate, but I managed to convince the nice lady that the car was only 6 months old. She turned a blind eye to the renewal form and did the tax using the V5 document, which didn't flag any problems.

Can anyone tell me when I need a MOT for the first time on a Q plate car, I've searched and 3 years for new cars seems to be a common answer (mainly for new and age related) but does the same apply to Q plates?

Cheers,

Mark B

I think you need an MOT from 12 months on a Q only new reg cars are 3 year exempt  :)

I think you need an MOT from 12 months on a Q only new reg cars are 3 year exempt  :)

second that from Mark.Also SDV need an MOT every year.

Also SDV need an MOT every year.

Surely that will depend on what plate they're registered on? ???

I guess it's possible to register an SDV on a new plate?

Andy

second that from Mark.Also SDV need an MOT every year.

... when my SDV's docs arrived for tax renewal the MOT was not a requirment, so I got mine re-TAX'd without one

I figure DVLA know what they are doing and for once to my advantage.

:)

When I was registering my Q plate I was told by the local DVLA office that I could only have road tax for 6 months.

I then produced a MOT test certificate I had prior to the SVA I was the able to buy a tax disc for 12 months and two weeks. (I could not wait for the start of the next month!;)

;)  ;)

How come surly that means it is a car of 1991 vintage and subject to yearly mot's

Barry

Would seem sensible to have it M.O.T'd anyway - does not hurt to have the car checked over once a year - partly for your own safety as well as other road users ......

My SDV doesn't require MOT for 3 years   its on a 'H' age related plate  

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this dilemma  :)

If you initially tax it for six months after SVA then you'll need an MOT at 6 months old as the regs stand :(

my mates SDV is just a year old and has gone for an mot,as he was told by the test centre,when they SVA'd it.This was because there are parts aged the same as the 'H' plate,they need an annual MOT.MOT's are not required on 'NEW BUILDS' with current new plates.Don't get caught out by the cops,as they probably won't acept a car that is nearly 2 years past it's mot,at worst case.My wifes car is 4 years old and the re-tax form,never said about needing a current MOT this time round,even when it needed one as I only taxed it last week and noticed.