Oooh! That Pesky Manual...

waynem

The manual strikes again!

Installed the wiper motor.. Bit of a pain, but no great shakes. Fillet and spindles all lined up nicely and motor bolted to scuttle.

Come to fit the  wiper motor cover, and this won't fit because it needs the motor to be the other way round to the pictures in the manual.

I need to rotate the motor by 180 deg to used the cover, but the holes are already drilled. I may have enough slack in the "pipe" to allow me to do this and still use the same holes, but Aaarrrrrgh!!!  

Wayne M :angry:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :down:

Had this issue so spoke to Westfield.  The cover is a stock part for a rover.  You have installed the wiper motor correctly but you will need to trim the 'square' end off the cover and use just the cylindrical part to cover the motor itself.  It will attach with tie wraps.

TED

:D:D

Thanks Ted

Well, its been rotated now.. Gives a nicer fit actually, but the connector is a little more difficult to get to. No big deal though.

I have been left with two holes in the scuttle, but one can be used for the engine wiring loom which still needs to be installed. The other.. dunno. Put a washer and bolt throught the hole to make it look like it does something !

At least now the plastic cover will cover the whole motor assembly. Seems a bit silly that the factory suggest you chop it in half. If it needs covering, then surely it should all be covered... ???

The manual should be called a "Build Guide". Taking it as gospel can lead to problems... A similar thing happened when I fitted the heater matrix. Used the "Manual" measurements, but it fouled on the bonnet lip moulding. I had to drop the matrix down a few cms which put it nowhere near the suggested location.. I'm older and wiser now, so I won't make a similar mistake again !!

:D

Wayne M

The manual should be called a "Build Guide". Taking it as gospel can lead to problems...

Definitely agree with that,

Good luck with the rest of the build

TED

:D  :D

Don't understand why it needs to be covered anyway. No moving parts are exposed and inside the scuttle you're not likely to hit it with you're legs - Well not until they've gone through the ECU and mounting plate!

John.

Don't understand why it needs to be covered anyway. No moving parts are exposed and inside the scuttle you're not likely to hit it with you're legs.

Mmmmm. The mysteries of SVA

TED

???  ???

I didn't fit the cover on mine, didn't see the point for the reason that jak gives. No probs at SVA in April and the inspector had a good look because he did pull me up about not loom rapping enough of the wires feeding the motor.

I'm guessing that the cover is only 'needed' if you fit it on the drivers side ;)

I didn't fit the cover on mine, didn't see the point for the reason that jak gives. No probs at SVA in April and the inspector had a good look because he did pull me up about not loom rapping enough of the wires feeding the motor.

I'm guessing that the cover is only 'needed' if you fit it on the drivers side ;)

Fitted the motor on the drivers side did not have any problems at sva and I did not even know you could get a cover for the motor.

Barry