Live axle question

karlos

Hi,

Got the english live axle, does anyone know what torque the oil drain plug should be tightened to?  Does it screw all the way in or is there any thread showing once tightened?

Thanks

Karl

There will be thread showing, I've always just nipped them up enough to stop them falling out and I've never had any problem.

I'm not sure exactly what axle i have on my pre lit (ok ok so i'm new, but it is a live axle) but i too came across this the other day while checking the level.

I was doing this due to a small leak i seem to have at the prop end which i assume is some kind of seal.

Anyway, mine didn't screw all the way in and at first led me to believe i had cross threaded it or something (didn't pay any attention when i was removing it) but it has been drip free and showing some thread for over a week now.

I know your question was answered anyway, but i thought i would add my 2 euros worth as it was so recent.

I know your question was answered anyway, but i thought i would add my 2 euros worth as it was so recent.
 Seems to be s.o.p on this board  :0  You're going to fit in well    :D  :D  :D

Ok so what about shillings? :p

As for my leak at the end of the prop, it seems to of stopped now...hmmm.

Anyway, is it deffo worth getting done even if the rear diff level seems ok for now or is it just a disaster waiting to happen?

I guess i mean if it drops a wee spot now and again, what is the worst that can happen?

Anyway, is it deffo worth getting done even if the rear diff level seems ok for now or is it just a disaster waiting to happen?

I guess i mean if it drops a wee spot now and again, what is the worst that can happen?

Keep an Eye on it and see if it gets any worse.

If it does leak abit, it ain't going to get any better.

Sounds like a Nice job for the Winter   :xmas:

Alternatively, if the leak has stopped, it could be because there's no oil left in the diff...

Has it started making any loud noises yet??? :oops:

Kev OH OH 7

Alternatively, if the leak has stopped, it could be because there's no oil left in the diff...

Has it started making any loud noises yet??? :oops:

Kev OH OH 7

No not at all Sir, it's almost full up and not making any noises.

I noticed a weep and a few spots on the garage floor so checked the level.

It was a bit low so i filled it back up and also added some of that slick 50 type stuff into the bargain.

Since then, there has not been a single drop on the floor again.

Luck, or something more sinistar going on in diff land?

Replacing the pinion oil seal *is* a user replaceable item in my opinion, as I've just done mine.

As long as you are MEGA careful when marking, removing and retightening the front flange nut in the process, you shouldn't have any problems.

As has been discussed on other threads though - depends how much above the orig. spec you are using it really. If you are expecting to run 250hp through it - get a professional to do it.

I am only running 135hp through mine, so I'm comfortable that I could do it.

No probs so far 300 miles in and no whining / noise / heat etc.

Will.