Pinto Engine Standard

kipford

Hi all, I pick up my SDV kit on 9th July (cannot wait to get started). I have a delema though, What build standard to take the Pinto too. To start budget is limited around £1200 tops for the engine. Bearing in mind I have to get this thing through SVA, what do people consider is best bang for my bucks. Your thoughts appreciated.

Welcome Kip, to the mad house!

I would say that a pinto in standard form will make your eyes water so don't worry too much about spendin loadsa money :D:D

Good luck with the build!

Welcome Aboard

Clicky Always worth keeping an eye on.

I brought a recon Pinto and brought all the extras, which worked out to be a lot more expensive. Have you thought of any other engine.. 20XEetc.. not much more money and more powerful as standard

I bought a 2L XE engine from a scappies for 200-300 quid with a warranty, seems to be that most local builders will recon it for around £800 if I choose :)

That puts it in the same bracket as the pinto :p

Keep an eye out on E-bay and various other race car and rally forums, good spec pinto's do come up. That's how I got mine 150bhp with gear box and twin webbers £900.... bargin.  :D  :D

Nothing Wrong Sticking With the Pinto Engine Choice.

Mate at Local club has a 2.1 with a Flowed head, piper cam, Twin Carbs and is Quick Enough for Anybody  :cool:

Although He is Planning to go Cosworth Power  :0  :devil:

Pinto is Proven Engineering   :t-up:

Although He is Planning to go Cosworth Power  :0  :devil:

Think Your mate may have just found himself a buyer  :t-up:

Have to admit I’m loving my Pinto  ???  , but my own opinion is that if I was at the beginning again I would opt for another engine, as you don’t have to do as much work to it to get the power (if you do want to do the work then get a greater benefit)

upgradeitus is looming  :p

Thanks for the replies, I am stuck with the Pinto for a bit, because we have bought the completion kit as well, this is all set up for the Pinto engine.

I am not looking for ultimate horsepower as the car is for road use with the odd bit of track work thrown in.

I was considering having a word with Vulcan to see what bits they suggest. I have no problem with building up the engine myself.

Another question does anyone have any details of how they shortened the sump and oil pick up pipe?

I have a standard pinto in the garage, it was running fine but could do with replacing the bearings (had a bit of piston slap).  Could be perswaded to give it away to a "club member"  ;)

Karl

• 3 weeks later...

I know a firm in Lancashire that will modify the Pinto sump and pick up pipe, for a reasonable price. It just depends were your based?

I have a 2.1 Pinto from Vulcan. I built it up myself. It is a very good engine. However if I was to build it again, I would have fitted a Piper 270 cam as opposed to the Kent FR32 that I am running at the minute. The driveability of the Piper cam was alot better, and for road use thats what I would recommend.