Question to SEI owners

Chasmon

Hi all,

I am currently fitting the Aluminium panels to my chassis and the tunnel panels carry on too far down the chassis. The rivet holes are past the upright they are meant for.

I am assuming that they should bend at right angles and secure around the chassis upright on the outside of the tunnel near the engine bay, but this will require trimming as well as bending of the panel...Surely Westfield would cut it to shape at least.

Bit dissappointed at this as the manual mentions nothing of it (familiar?), and I'm also missing the pedal inspection cover.

Not sure about the passenger side, I'd go out and look, but it's hissing down here complete with thunder and lightening.

The drivers side panel bends round the first upright back from the engine end of the tunnel IYSWIM. This last piece of tunnel is covered with a grp moulding incorporating the foot rest. Although shown in the manual, it wasn't overly clear.

I think, the passenger side was similar, needing bending round the upright, with another shaped aly piece to complete the run to the front bulkhead.

IIRC both the panels only needed a little trimming down - a couple of mm at most where they wrapped round the chassis box section.

Thanks Gadget Man,

If I bend the panel around I will have to cut off a corner to get it to clear though. I found this on a website link from here - the Swedish guy with the VX (sorry can't remeber you name). It seems the panel needs trimming and bending.

bild%20003.jpg

The chassis is upside down but you can see where the panel needs to bend for the holes to be next to the chassis, and that cheeky little corner that needs cutting.

Why haven't Westfield done a build CD complete with photos in addition to their build manual, beats me.  :oops:

Why haven't Westfield done a build CD complete with photos in addition to their build manual, beats me.

'coz Mark is so busy answering queries from builders he just doesn't have time to update manual or do something posher. Monday's especially bad with weekend bulders' problems.

Agree with all Gadgetman says - some panels did need a little trimming and IIRC had to cut a 25x25 piece out of a corner somewhere.

Get riveting :)

Kerry S

I found this on a website link from here - the Swedish guy with the VX (sorry can't remeber you name). It seems the panel needs trimming and bending.

bild%20003.jpg

Ahem, that would be me  :)

Yep, I had to take out a 25x25 or thereabouts rectangle.

Best to bend I found is wedging the aluminium between two blocks of wood in the vice, and using a third block to bend with. Then you get a nice uniform bend. If needed a sharper bend, first bend by hand with the block on top, then once it's 90°, hit the third block with hammer to sharpen the bend. Difficult to describe that last bit, but wedging between blocks means at least a sharp line.

Whats best to trim the panels with?

Surely Tin snips will leave rouhg edges?

That's the easiest solution. Corners can be rounded off with a file.  :t-up:

Prety much ditto to the previous comments, I'd forgottone about nipping out the corners though. I used tin snips, then tidied the edge with a file. It sounds like I used a similar method to Mike to bend the sheet - clamping it between two blocks of wood. I then sharpened up the bends with a hammer and an extra block of wood.

Thanks for the advice, sorry for hijacking your pic, I found it when I was doing a search on this problem and forgot where it came from.

Apreciate the advice on filing the panels. I fancy having them bare Alu when I'm finished so I guess excess that can be beaten and filed is an advantage to cover the gaps.

Hopefully getting a compressor and riveter from a friend so my cheap one can go to the bottom of the tool box  :D

If I had been out of bed in time this morning :zzz: I would have marked the panels and used the sheet metal bender at work... :down:

Thanks for the advice, sorry for hijacking your pic, I found it when I was doing a search on this problem and forgot where it came from.

No problem, that's why I put them up there so others could see and I could share my experiences!  :t-up: