Westfield build manual

grs

I have a 1988/89 SEi narrow body car, the build manual i have is from January 2000. Where might I get an older build manual more relavant to the age of my car? Also i can't find a section refering to fitting the seat belts in the manual i've got.

I'm itching to phone them tomorrow! I took delivery of my car on friday and got the chassis number on saturday so they should hopefully have some info for me when i phone them with chassis number!

They sometimes show up on ebay as well :D

To be perfectly honest the build manual from that sort of time isn't upto much. About 26 pages in total.

that must have been the comprehensive manual.... :p:p

i've got a build manual copy with 15 pages circa 88/89, but it's not for the sei.

as for help - the manual is a little help - but almost everything you could ever need to know about these cars is here on the site...

this place rules :t-up:  :t-up:

With a chassis of that era the standard seat belts fitted on a boss that was welded into the roll bar, the reel bolted on there. Because the belt came out at an angle they always got stuck as far as i remember, so fitted harnesses instead.

I have Willans 4 point harnesses but someone told me that the SVA test won't pass them, others have said you can have them. Sounds like I'll be at the mercy of the SVA inspector on the day!

('88 sei) - i had reel mounts on the roll bar(look-a-like roll bar) &i've also got original mounts for three point belts on the rail... so both types catered for probably.

the bottom threads/mounts do get mucked up and corroded quite well - so lots of spray and then run a tap through them before fitting any nice shiny new eyebolts...

I have Willans 4 point harnesses but someone told me that the SVA test won't pass them, others have said you can have them. Sounds like I'll be at the mercy of the SVA inspector on the day!

There's no reason why a car with four point harnesses can't pass SVA, loads, (mine included) have.

You just need to make sure the belts and their installation are suitable/appropriate.

I think the main points are:

The harnesses themselves should be "e" marked.

The minimum height of the top harness mounts above the seat base is critical, IIRC it should be 400mm. (Hopefully someone who knows will be along soon  :blush:  :down:  )

The mounting bolts and eye-bolts need to be clearly marked strength wise, 8.8 IIRC and shouls pass all the way through the mounting bosses they're screwed into.

Any "contactable" edges - such as the bit of the shoulder strap metalwork that clips into the eyebolt behind your head should meet the minimum 2.5mm radius rule - you may need to cover the edge in rubber for this.

The eyebolts themselves should be lined up front to back, (ie the "eye" bit with the hole in pointing to the sides of the car)

I guess they also have to pass commonsense type things too, like not being trapped by anything, no damage etc.

The examiner will also (usually) sit in the car, do them up, adjust them, and test that they actually work!

Also bear in mind if altering the dash layout dramatically, they will also check that switches and things can still be reached when your strapped in tight!

Of course, having said all that,there's always someone who seems to get through anyway!

The bottom belt mounts have the eye bolts in now but by the time I get a seat in there it will most likely cover the eye bolts anyway. The width of the seat area is 400mm at the bottom where the eye bolts are.