Removing stubborn bolts

bhouse

RIght. Building an eleven so I've sourced a Midget which I'm carefully disassembling...

Got to return the (completely stripped) rear axle casing to Westfield to be modified so I need to remove the hubs. They're each held on with 4 x half inch AF nuts and bolts which have seized something rotten. The way they are positioned means that you can't get a socket or ring spanner over them. I've sprayed them with WD40 - with no results then other penetrating oil and they still won't shift. Any suggestions?

A couple of pictures will show the full horror...

click

Thanks in anticipation of a miracle cure  :)

Nice pics of the Elise but where's the nuts? ???

Very good question. The link should have taken you to the eleven gallery and I now find that it won't display. If I can't even sort that out maybe I'd better stop this idea of building a car...

I'll see if I can sort it out.

It looks like the flat of the nut slides up tight against the hub. Can you not get a socket or spanner on the other side?

Failing that chisel the nuts off.

Nope. Can't get a socket over them on either side. My hand has started twitching towards the angle grinder...

snap on do a pair of self gripping grips.the more you pull on them the more they bite in.ive used these on many similar problems and allways do the trick.try and find a dealer and they arent as dear as you'd think. about 17 quid.

definately get your problem sorted.

darren

I tried the cold chisel approach favoured by GRS and it worked a treat.

Darren - do you mean a Mole wrench kind of thing?

Brian