SVA requirements

grs

It depends on the type, the genral rule is they have to be able to release with one hand. The harnesss come as either button type, like cocopops, or as aircraft type which has a turnbuckle release. Some Sva stations accept either others do not. The aircraft type I have read can also fail on the radius of the buckle. It is crazy that the aircraft type which are superior quality, race proven ,can fail .

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I'm going to anyway :D  

I am just fitting my westfield harnesses, and just want to confirm the assembly of the lower mountings. Should there be any spacers - I don't have any. This means when the lower mounting bolts are tightened it does n't swivel. Is this correct? ???

Apart from the spacers for the upper (eye) mounts, I also have 2 flat washers & 2 anti rattle washers. Any info greatly appreciated.

John.

I take it that the ones you have are fitted with a flat plate with the hole in the centre rather than a clip type which fits to a ring.

I havent fitted the former type before but I would assume that there should be the ability for movement in all the mountings, otherwise they will not get an even pull in an acident  depending the directional forces they are under.

Best bet is to call Westfield or the belt supplier for advice.

Jeff,

The top mounts are the clip type which hook onto the eye bolts, that's OK. My query is regarding the lower mounts, should they be free to swivel round the monting point or not?

I would guess that so long as the belt is in the correct plane and not pinching the belt against a sharp edge it will work okay and should pass SVA. If the bolt is an exact fit in the hole I would suggest that is the way it is designed to work, if it is sloping about then i would suggest there is something missing. As I said if in doubt contact whoever you bought the belts off.

jak..i would be interested in the answer you get from westfield as mine are the same as yours at th emo.

cheers darren

Darren

I'll post the answer from Westfield tomorrow evening,

John.

PS. MOT booked for Saturday, then all being well SVA on the 18th July.

Jak

Prob same belts as mine; the lap belt fixing do not swivel and, as you saw, were not a problem on SVA day.

Kerry S

jak..i would be interested in the answer you get from westfield as mine are the same as yours at th emo.

cheers darren

Got the answer from Mark at Westfield.

The lower anchorage points for the harness don't move. The assembly sequence is,starting from the bolt head, then a plain washer, the lower belt mount then the shakeproof washer.

Also there are 2 mounting points for the lower mounts on each side, if you set the seat furthest from the steering wheel then use the rearmost pair of  mounts, if you're a vertically challenged, then use the front pair of mountings. The most important thing is that the lap belts go across your hips when fasten and tightened.

Hope it makes sense,

John.