Brake master Cylinder

Derby Allen

Hi, Think I may have a problem with my brakes and the explaination could be the problem, looking for confirmation and hiopefully a suggestion to being able to put it right, the master cylinder i am using om my SE has three brake pipe connections, two at the front marked "S" these two are connected to the front brakes, the rear one marked "P" goes to the back staright into the RHS of the Live axel, then from that caliper over the axel to the LHS. from what i have just read "S" meands secondary, "P" Primary. question is, is it ok as i got it or should i swap them round and block one of the "S" outlets off (as i only need one outlet for the rear) I guess the implications are that the rear braking will be better than the front based on what i have done orwill it not make any difference ? any advise welcome

Cheers Steve

The chances are that the cylinder is a 50/50 split so you'll be ok.

However as you have already stated "P" primary (fronts) "s" secondary (rears). My ols SE was this way round for years without a problem. Until one day I noticed.

Best thing would be to identify the cylinder, probably Girling

from a plastic tag wrapped around it or alternatively the casting number and give Girling technical a call to confirm wether it is a 50/50 split.

Just to clarify; the 50/50 split refers to the ratio of piston stroke available for each circuit. If it is a 50/50 split then the primary circuit will have the same piston stroke/travel available as the secondary circuit.

What ever the case the primary piston and the secondary piston will be the same size and hence will have no effect on front/rear brake balance.

Some master cylinders were designed with 67/33 (primary/secondary) split ratios. This was to take account of the different displacement requirements of calipers, for the front, and drumbrakes on the rear. Obviuosly 54mm diameter piston calipers will take more fluid to push them out than drumbrakes with cylinders around 19/20mm diameter.

Thanks Chaps, Think i will give them another once over on the bleeding front and try again. I have now got green stuff pads fitted to the front, so that should help but made the mistake of converting the rear to discs, i am more worried about the SVA if it is the wrong way round. i dont appear to have any tag on the cylinder which identifies who made it. i just thought it stange to have "2" secondaries and only 1 Primary.

useless on a live axel when only one feed to the rear is required. plus you would think the front would have it's own seperate as opposed to one that is split!,

steve