svd handbrake

m12oly

over the weekend we have treid to fit the hand barake and it just seems to short! we have sloosend of the adjusters and yet will still cannot seem to conect it up.  We have also reet the adjusters on the drums so they are right in.

The last thnig we tried was to dissconnect the handbrake behind the spilt pin, this then enabled up to connec tit to the drums.  our only problem no is the cable is about 30mm away from where the pin goes in? any ideas how to connect it up?  we have checked with westifiled and they said it only comes in one size. is it just brut force required!

thanks

olly

Wind the large white knurled collars on the nearside of the cable (I think) anti clockwise. That should give you some slack, assuming you have the "Sierra" type handbrake cable...

I had a similar problem, to solve I connected one end of the handbrake cable & then used a g-cramp to compress the handbrake mechanism on that side, which gave just enough slack to connect the other side. Don't forget the little black spring clip either. Although not entirely sure I have it installed in the correct orientation...

I have had problems on the two cars I built and on Robc s car which I am helping with. The cable seems to be wrong, what I am guessing is that the handbrake unit Westfield use has a longer connecting bar than the standard sierra one and that puts the connecting compensator in the right place.

on all three I have been involved in I shorthened the outer cable just in front of the white adjuster by about 3cms. this then allows the compensator to go forward enough to work correctly without pulling on an angle. I am sure I could have got the cable on using the clamps etc,but I feel this would put the handbrake adjusting mechanisum too far forward to self adjust correctly. I may be wrong but it worked for me.

I'd agreed with that Jeff - at the moment the rubber grommet on the adjusting side of my cable fouls the bracket  slightly. As I haven't got my brakes bled or adjusted yet I'd not worried about this too much (might be resolved by needing to tighten the cable). If it becomes a problem, I'll have to shorten my outer cable too...

I had this problem. The hand brake cable turned out to be the wrong length. Westfield replaced it and all was well. Westfield said at the time that they had a whole batch of hand brake cables the wrong size. When did you purchase you kit?

The first one I had was too long too and was quickly replaced by WF for the right one.  Worth asking the question IMO.

:)

Mine was a pig to attach I seem to remember..

Hooked one side on - easy peasy. Came to do the next and had to use some grips to depress the mechanism whilst using brute force to hook the thing on. The fact that the eye on the end of the cable is square and on the end of a metal rod means you have to get it right over the top to hook it up.  

Good job I have three hands..

Wayne M