Zetec Cam Cover Removal

pgh

Morning all,

I've been considering getting my cam cover powder coated by Triple S. Removing it looks like a fairly simple job, apart from the plastic housing thingy to the front of the engine. Before I start, does anyone have any tips / a guide on how to remove the cam cover & put it back together again please? Torque settings would be especially useful!

Thanks,

Paul

undo both bolts on the pulley guard and remove

Undo all bolts on the cam cover (check haynes for bolt removal order if your concerned)

Remove cam cover and gasket.

When reassembling, i'd use some liquid gasket at the front and rear of the cam cover (on all 4 scalloped parts) otherwise you will get leakage and the seal will work itslef loose at these points.

Again check haynes for bolt orders and torques. (no to hand i'm affraid - but they're not too tightly done)

When re-fitting the cam cover, carefully insert each bolt with the rubber seal and 'spacer' and nip to finger tightness. Then tighten the bolts from the middle outwards (in a diagonal sequence) in two sessions. First session tighten to 2 Nm, second session tighten to 7Nm.

When reassembling, i'd use some liquid gasket at the front and rear of the cam cover (on all 4 scalloped parts) otherwise you will get leakage and the seal will work itslef loose at these points.

Don't re-assemble with the sealant still wet though. Wait until it has all but gone off before offering up the cam cover, otherwise the fresh wet sealant will act like a lubricant and help the gasket slide off...

Thanks all. Sounds a little risky! Think I might wait until I've at least started the engine for the first time before taking it to bits  :)

Paul

Now Lego I can do!

Just not too keen on the sound of damaging the gasket.

The coloured cam cover and laser cut HT lead cover combo does look great though...

Had mine off a few times and just been careful with the tightening pattern when putting back on.  Didn't know torque settings either (until now, but in any case I don't think my torque wrench goes down as low as 7), so just used a ring spanner (AFAIK, spanners are designed to be the right length for about the right torque).  Still on original gasket and no gunk used and no leaks (touch wood).