Curborough 2005

barney

Andy - "No Steering" is just a minor issue. Many people drive on the green stuff instead of the black stuff anyway.

Now no boll..ks, no bottle, no brakes, no idea whats going wrong - these are far more serious to deal with.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• adhawkins

• Mark Stanton

• studbuckle

• barney

Andy - "No Steering" is just a minor issue. Many people drive on the green stuff instead of the black stuff anyway.

Now no boll..ks, no bottle, no brakes, no idea whats going wrong - these are far more serious to deal with.

Oh well, At least your brakes work Andy :)

So what was wrong with the old rack? ???

There's play in it, and I got a very bad vibration through the steering when braking after a few laps of Combe.

It's going back on, and we'll see how it goes on Saturday.

Andy

Andy,

Perhaps you could petition to have all the corners removed from the circuit on Sunday morning due to the fact that your lack of steering is unsafe.

:p

That's not a bad idea. Then all I have to do is get it off the line :)

Andy

There's play in it, and I got a very bad vibration through the steering when braking after a few laps of Combe.

There is some adjustment for play in them you know?  There is in mine anyway.

There is some adjustment for play in them you know?  There is in mine anyway.

There is? How? ???

Andy

Where the steering shaft sticks out to connect to the steering column there is a plate held down by 2 bolts around it. It should have some adjustment shims under it. In your case, it sounds like you will need extra shims.

And mine adjusts differently to John's. There is an hexagon drive next to the steering column that you tighten to take out backlash / play, and loosen to add backlash / play.  You need to put a large nut into the hexagon drive in order to be able to turn it though.

The other place where you can get play is where the steering arms attach to the rack. I had play there as well. Both sorted with no problem by a cheque book mechanic in this instance.  Whilst on this tack, fitting hard rubber steering rack mounts made a big difference to steering feel, but I doubt you've got the Westfield standard soft rubber ones fitted on the purple car.

All of the above sorted by ProComp.

Ah, ok. Not a quick job then.

I have the new rack, it's just getting the damn extension arms on to it.

Hopefully the old rack will go back on tonight, then we'll see what happens on Saturday.

Timing (as ever) is immaculate :down:

:t-up: for all the help so far though. Cheers guys.

Andy

but I doubt you've got the Westfield standard soft rubber ones fitted on the purple car.

S'o.k we managed to work out that Andy had solid Ali mounts  :D  :D  ;)  ;)  we asked him to look for some bright shiny clamp things around his rack  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:  :D so Dickie B had a look instead  :D  :D  :D  :devil:  :devil:

Don't forget your Leatherman  :D  :D  :D  :D

Not a compliment on mechanical ability ......................... merely the recognition of good shiny bits  :D  :D  :D  :D  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:  :D

Ooooo - is that a compliment on my mechanical ability?

Well it's not hard if you're being compared to Andy, now is it?  :p

Luned