New build 300 mile check

KerryS

Having done 300 miles in the car since registration, I thought I would have a look round the car to see how it was bearing up. I found a number of small points that I thought I'd share.

Leak on the clutch master cylinder - I think this is the banjo conection so tightened it up a bit, but need to keep an eye on this.

Brake fluid level had dropped a little - presumably with the pads bedding in they have created a bit more volume in the system.

Battery positive cable chaffing on cooling pipe - the battery terminal was loose and the cable had waggled about a bit; tightened up and re-routed cable a bit.

Diff leak - from the filler plug, now far more difficult to access than when I filled it! Tightened up.

Locknuts on rose joints - all four loose! Bit of a surprise this but maybe the didn't get tightened during the build, but it seems a bit odd they were all loose. I was quite careful to list all joints for tighteneing on a whiteboard on the garage wall. So again, need to keep an eye on these.

So a few minor things but worth a look around I think.

BTW has anyone found somewhere to store the jack other than the boot box? I saw a car at Curborough last weekend where the jack was stored inside the spare but the WF supplied one is too long  to do that with mine. There's a big space between the rad and the engine I thought I could use. It takes up a lot of space in the boot box for an item that gets rarely used. And before I get told to leave the spare behind, it's staying at least for now!

Kerry S

Leak on the clutch master cylinder - I think this is the banjo conection so tightened it up a bit, but need to keep an eye on this.

check you havent done it up to tight, this can make the copper washers squish outwards and cause a leak  ???

Locknuts on rose joints - all four loose! Bit of a surprise this but maybe the didn't get tightened during the build, but it seems a bit odd they were all loose. I was quite careful to list all joints for tighteneing on a whiteboard on the garage wall. So again, need to keep an eye on these.

if they were very lose shouldn't that have been spotted when you had the suspension set up or SVA if they were left lose ?

Good idea to put a paint mark across the nut and body of the joint or whatever it tightens onto then you can see if they have moved again just by looking  :D

a paint mark across the nut and body of the joint

A Tippex marker is your friend  :D

Nick

There was no noticable gap there, I found it by feel. All the torqued joints have white mark across but missed doing these unless the white mark is on the opposite side now, obviously the body wasn't there when I did them up before, assuming I did do them up :p

Kerry

:cool:  :cool:

No jack as no spare. No tools either. RAC card occupies little space.

I cant be  :arse: 'd with all that.

Matt :D

My sentiments exactly  :D  :D  :D

:oops:  :oops:   :D  :D