Megasquirters and Jolters

karlgurney

I currently have a 2l pinto on 45' webers, I could get around £400 quid for the webers now, so would it be possible to make a diy throttle body setup using gsxr throttle bodies and a distributerless ignition for around this price??  How much has is cost you??

Cheers

Karl

I've got a good idea of what parts i need and i've been watching the prices on ebay and they don't seem to pricey  :t-up:   I'm just not to sure how to put it all together.  I've got someone in mind for making the inlet manifold so that shouldn't be a problem.

Expect prices for Webers to start dropping, now that the factory is up and running again (as mentioned elsewhere on here I think).

Andy

Been watching the prices on ebay for a while now and its probably still the best time to sell, after all fuel injection is the next senisble route and if i'm going to do it nows the best time, just need to know if its possible within my budget. I would imagine it would still take the factory some time to handle the demand so there should be sometime to play with.  If i was totally confident about the project they would be for sale tomorrow.  Just need some help and advice from some people in the know  ;)

Jenveys are about £400 just for the pair of throttle bodies, could get some gsxr throttle bodies for around £60  :0

Rob Marshall (who's local to us Karl) has just fitted some bike throttle bodies. He didn't do it 'on the cheap' in terms of ECU, but it might be worth dropping him a line.

Andy

I did megasquirt n EDIS, with GSXR throttle bodies, and i did the whole lot for less than 500 quid - but then it did take me 6 months (not full time obviously).  This was only achieved though by getting alot of bits from scrap yards - coil pack, EDIS module, spark plug leads, fuel pump.  Do a search, pics of my instalation are on here somewhere.

cheers

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thats what i like to hear, whats the performance like compared to the set up you had before?

Cheers

Karl

Had 45DCOEs before, and they were a pain on part throttle, always poppoing and spitting - no such problems on the MS-TB setup though :) - it idles like it never has - starts every time like easily.

Performance wise, on WOT (Wide Open Throttle) it certainly feels a bit quicker - picks up much better than it did on carbs - iinstant response - however the short throw of the throttle linkage on the GSXR TBs took a few miles to get used to, about half the travel i had before from nothing to WOT - may look at ways to change that.

I do have a problem at the moment though in that im running manifold pressure for the load measurement (rather than throttle position) - and im getting the same reading at 2.5K rpm at 25% throttle as i do a WOT - so at this point it suddenly goes very rich (as its pouring fuel in thinking its WOT) - there are various possible fixes for it, which im trying - but in the mean time im doing a TPS based map - its not a true measurment of engine load, hence why manifold pressure is better - but it will do in the intererim.

You will find most of the comercial units use TPS, for this very reason - if you have a wild cam with alot of overlap, then you can get very little change in manifold pressure between part throttle and WOT - unless your air inlet tract is deisgned to compensate - which mine isnt!!!

I hope im not putting you off, as i thats not the intention - this problem is nothing to do with MS or using bike TB's - its just a physical fact (to do with inlet tract length and cam,etc) and i would have the same problem with jenvy bodies.  Its becasue MS is soooo configurable, i thought i would use the manifold pressure for load as its the ideal solution (plus alot easier to map yourself without a rolling road).  If i had paid a fortune and bought an off-the-shelf unit like emerald,etc - then i wouldnt have had a choice and id be using TPS for load.

I have learnt bucket loads by doing it myself (with lots of help and advice of course), and also saved a fortune - i would do it all again in an instant.

good luck

cheers

Chris

I have learnt bucket loads by doing it myself (with lots of help and advice of course), and also saved a fortune - i would do it all again in an instant

Me too!  :t-up:

Megasquirt is an ECU controlling fuel & spark if required and i understand that a megajolt is an ECU to control ignition only

:t-up: