Zetec Oil Filter

Steve20

Just taken the oil filter off my 2.0 Zetec which was a Crossland 659, however the new one purchased from Westfield is a Dana "WIX" WL7064 (Westfield pn 1754015).

Concern is that the new one is considerably lighter and does not appear to have a valve in the centre, is this correct ???

its a renault 6 filter, think it should have a valve in it  ???

as far as i know its a relief valve though, not an anti drain valve  ???

Coopers Z121 from Partco.  £2.18 inc vat.  At that price you can change it monthly if you want to.

Checked with the factory today, their latest filters do not have the anti drain valve (not good practice as far as i am concerned).

Followed the lead on Partco who checked the cross reference for the Crossland 659 as Coopers Z107 which includes the valve at 6.36 inc vat.

Job done, thanks.

I personally use the Crossland 659 as quite a few others seem to. Apparently it is the one that people like Dunnell and Scholar fit to their engines so must be up to the job. As far as the valve goes, If there is one in the original ford filter on the engine Mr Ford specified there should be one for a reason ?

not an expert just my opinion.

As far as the valve goes, If there is one in the original ford filter on the engine Mr Ford specified there should be one for a reason ?

is it a pressure relief valve or a drain valve on the standard filter  ??

they do two totally different things.

most people see a pressure relief valve and assume its an anti drain valve

I use an EFL500 off a CVH engine on my 1800 zetec, although that's with a raceline dry sump system so not sure if it'll fit on a standard setup, before that used a renault filter, think it was a mahle OC11. Whether an oe filter is better than a pattern part or not is up for debate but it makes me feel better..........

If it's the valve you can see through the central threaded hole it's a pressure relief / bypass valve. It's there so that if the filter clogs up completely it doesn't break down and throw debris into the engine. It just gets bypassed and all the debris it has filtered out goes into the engine.

For those of us who look after our cars it is probably irrelevant so I prefer to use filters without one.

Kevin