Which one-help.....

Scritti

Hi Folks

I've had a 95 SE with a 1.6 CVH for the past 6 years and its been enormous fun but the time is here to move up and get something a little or maybe a lot faster etc. Looking through the specs and the various cars for sale on here and at various other sites its getting a little difficult to narrow down what type of engine/car to go for.

What I'm asking is how does the driving experience and performance differ from the various engine options? I'm looking at bike power, zetec or VX at the 180 to 200 BHP level and possibly V8. The torque levels are probably the most interesting facet as bike seems to be quite low, zetec pretty good and V8 enormous... pure acceleration seems to be similar in all cases but I'm sure that the torque will play a big part in the "real world" ie acceleration out of corners/overtaking etc. Do the bike engines need to be kept at high revs to exploit the performance? How does the heavier V8 affect the handling. Apart from the weight of the car how would a high power 2 litre compare against the bike option etc etc....

Any help/opinions and experiences gratefully received...

On the bike front, Busa actually has quite good torque, especially for a 1300. The Blade needs the revs much more, but then again sounds fantastic at 11,000....

I would have thought that the best thing would be to speak to some of your local WSCC members and try to get a ride in a few to see real world usage.  I think that it mostly comes down to personal preference, and just like Westies, we are all different.

give me aring if you want.

I had Pinto upgraded to vauhall at various power levels and now have road legal /speed series Busa

Terry 07767836234

As you would guess really;

Bike yes you do have to keep them in the power band (high revs) to make them shift, but that they do.

V8, mine I drove like an auto really, 2nd for pulling away and town, then 4th and that was all the gears you really needed. Mine was a 4.2 and had 297ft/# of tourque. An excellent cross country machien, as ways fast and never an issue overtaking. However be warned, with this much power danger is never more than the throttle stop away.

I've a Zetec now, and a bit of both really. It needs to be reved, but has enought tourque to make it touring friendly. However 200bhp Zetecs (atmo) are getting towards the "screeamer" characteristics of the bikes, it will need revs to generate this power.

MArk

Thanks folks, Terry, I will take up your offer of a chat if thats Ok, will give you a call later tonight....cheers

Scritti

I've just done a cvh to Vx conversion, bearing in mind my cvh was a ferriday 136bhp lump, it has still been well worth it.  The torque gain is very noticeable and although I have not had mine on the rollers you can expect 180bph +/- in standard form  :t-up:

The Vx is an excellent all round engine with ability to tune well into the 200bph area.  

Mind you expect to spend £3000 plus doing it, dependant on spec etc etc  :oops: