Smiths Oil Pressure Sender

pgh

Evening all,

Just tried replacing the oil pressure sender in my engine block for the one supplied with the Smiths instruments. I stripped the engine mounting bracket off the block and removed the original sender as per Geelhoed's description on his site, however, with the wierd design of the sender I just cant get a spanner onto the nut part of the sender.

Having done a quick search this thread by KerryS seems to suggest that the torx blanking plug further back on the block can also be used for the oil pressure sender. Just wanted to check that I'm looking at the correct blanking plug?

Also, anyone got a photo of where the Smiths water temperature sender goes on the Zetec please?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Yep I used the blanking plug position for the oil pressure sender, it was about 4" back from the original sender IIRC.

As for the temp sender, I assume you have the standard ford thermostat housing in which case it fits in the small threaded hole on the near side underneath.

Mark B

Thanks Sparky,

Sender now in position although still not tight - spent 2 hours with spanners trying to get the thing tightened up. There seemed to be some super strength threadlock on the blanking plug, I removed this as best as I could, however I resisted running a tap down the thread in the block in case any swarf/threadlock found its way into the engine. Unfortunately, the threadlock has made it almost impossible to put the sender in - it's a spirited turn of a spanner job & with the restricted access and having to use my smallest adjustable spanner it's proved rather difficult to say the least. I'm about 1mm off having the thing tight now but sadly I've run out of room for my spanner!

Cheers,

Paul

adjustable spanner

argh! I didn't use any on my car (because they were invented by a Geelhoed, and I don't want to blemish the name any further)

I didn't know about the other plug but I also had a bad time tightening it. I used a 24 or 25 spanner (don't remember) and had to turn 5 degrees then use another angle and turn it another 5 degrees. took about an hour :(

I have similar feelings about adjustable spanners, however it was the only spanner I had that would fit lengthways beneath the Westfield induction manifold thing. And true adjustable spanner style the nut on the sender is now ever so slightly chewed...

I went into Westfield on Saturday morning and the really helpful parts chaps explained that the thread on the block is tapered, which is why it's nearly impossible to get the sender threaded into the block completely. So my sender is probably over tight. Will have to see if it still works when the time comes....

Paul