Another wheel question..

Steve R

Ok, so I'm putting myself forward for the 'idiot of the month' award at the moment.  I have got a wheel stuck on my Westy!  :durr:  :D   :blush:

Car is currently up on build stands and I was trying a front wheel to check the clearance for my new Wilwoods.  As it happens, clearance was ok, but I can't get the wheel back off!  It was a little bit tight going on, but I didn't think it was too bad - it pulled on easily with the wheelnuts and copper grease on the hub shoulder.  

I think the hubs are the problem (HiSpec ones) as the CXR rims fitted fine on my last car with standard cortina hubs.

So, two questions really,

1). Anybody else experienced HiSpec hubs being machined slightly oversize?

2). Does anyone have any cunning tips for removing the wheel without an angle grinder (I have already tried my favourite tool - a very large hammer)?

:bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:

Let the pi55-taking commence!

Steve.

How exactly does a hub puller attach itself?  

I'm not sure I can get much in between the spokes on the rim as the CXRs are multi-spoked.

Another thought is to remove the upright complete with wheel, sit the wheel face-up on something, loosely fit the wheelnuts and use a block of wood and hammer across all 4 wheel nuts in one go to drift the hub off the back of the rim.

I can't give it a proper tug on the build stands as I'm likely to pull the chassis off them!

get behind the wheel with it up in the air, spin it by hand and belt the rim as hard as you can with a mallett.

Have already tried hitting it as hard as I can from behind.  I used a rubber mallet directly onto the rim.

It's properly stuck!

Think this could be an expensive one  ???

Could try warming the wheel gently, perhaps with hair dryer or paint gun (be V careful). If you think it's stuck on a spigot on the hub this may work?

Kerry S

Okay, I am a newbie myself, so there is probably a good reason why this won't work.

Isn't it possible to fit a garden-variety two-arm puller on the wheel?

Steve

For the sake of 3 nuts I'd just take the hub of support the wheels and nunney the wheel nuts :D

I have used a large lump of wood before and a ratchet strap, depend if you can get the strap through the spokes. support wood against nuts or center nut, strap round wheel and over end of wood, pull very tight then nunney back of wheel with mallet.

Before you do anything i'd try spray some wd or similar into joint, the copper grease won't be doing you any favours if its that tight.

Thanks for all the suggestions.  Most seem to involve twatting it in one way or another  :D  :D

Will try the ratchet strap idea first - it may just work.

If not, I think i'll remove the upright & wheel together and give it some welly with it off the car.

Still means I'm going to have to take my hubs off and get them machined down slightly - shame really as they're nice gold anodised ones.  

I may give HiSpec a call first to see if they can shed any light on the hub collet diameter problem, I was told they're only the third pair of hubs they've made to a new design (different end cap) so maybe that could be related in some way to the poor fit.

Will give it a go tonight.

Thanks,

Steve.

It could be as simple as the anodising itself pushing the new hub out of tolerance.

I think I'd avoid re-maching them in favour of some 600 grit wet and dry made wet with WD40, and a small tub of elbow grease...

When I said hub puller,....bit of bar behind each spoke and bolted to the puller. then use the central bolt against the hub, thus pulling the wheel from the hub.

One of these, - the hamer bit.

2203.jpeg

Have already tried hitting it as hard as I can from behind.  I used a rubber mallet directly onto the rim.

It's properly stuck!

rubber bounces  ;)

you want either a wood one or one of the plastic over metal one.

dont take it off the car, just keep at it and IT WILL COME OFF THIS WAY. trust me have done it loads of times

It's properly stuck!

rubber bounces  ;)

you want either a wood one or one of the plastic over metal one.

dont take it off the car, just keep at it and IT WILL COME OFF THIS WAY. trust me have done it loads of times

Yes as S8ight states rubber bounces and reduces the shock, look in Machine Mart for the heaviest Dead blow hammer you can find. If it went on its got to come back off.

Good point.  I'll buy myself a decent hammer.  I was worried about damaging the rim with anything other than a rubber mallet, but you're right - rubber bounces! :D

Soaked it all in WD40 last night ready for a determined effort today.  Will let you know how I get on.

Thanks for all the advice.

Steve.