Gearbox selection

Mulford

I've heard with cables you can get a certain amount of stiction, especially if you've got any significant bends in it.

Smooth cable runs are required. We were discussin htis recently whilst looking at a cable conversion on something else.

Tight bends in the cable(s) will definitely cause problems. However, if there is a push pull cable system that works on BEC's and has proved reliable, then why not? Goes a bit against the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy, but hey, shiny bits are shiny bits... :D

Rhodri has just converted from Westie rods to cable in his Megablade because he's installed a later blade engine (with reversed shift pattern) so would have needed to totally rework the original shift anyway. It seems OK and its precise still, but like Al says you do notice the extra stiction in the cable compared to a good linkage system, feels "heavier" throughout the shift when stationary, I havent yet had a go actually driving it though.

Well, I've come from riding a Yamaha TDM850, the bike with perhaps the noisiest gearchange in the world, to driving a Megablade.  A noticeable improvement in my view  :D  :D  :D

I think I've broken bike 3 gearboxes in my career. A CB400/4 Honda, a BMW K100, and a VT500. That said, they had all done well over 70,000 miles, with the Beemer (which I'd owned from new) showing 121,000+ when it went...

Always wanted an RG500. Never got round to it. Quite fancied the LC500 too, but the Gamma was better looking. Went for a GSXR1100H (I think...) instead which was pretty strong all in all. Binned it twice, despatched it for a while and never broke anything. In fact, I'd have another one...

:cool:

Mate of mine had a Stan Stephens LC350 which was similarly brutal once the power band was reached. It was fun back then...

Hi,

So if you do clutchless up changes what is the "life" of the gearbox and is their any maintenance schedule you can upgrade to compensate?  ???  I'm thinking specifically of the Blade engine.

Answers on a postcard........

Ta

Geoff

:)

P.S.

BTW: Everybody who is thinking of buying a BEC should do a gearbox kart day at Shennington :D