Gearbox selection

Mulford

Afternoon all,

Does anyone know how to get a nice selection of 2nd gear without making it sound like your killing the box ?

Am new to BECs and can't seem to get the knack!!! :bangshead:

Cheers

Press the left hand pedal in? ???

:D

(Sorry, couldn't resist - I'm sure someone will be along with something a little more helpful soon...)

Andy

I'm sure someone will be along with something a little more helpful soon...

Put a proper engine and box in :D

I'm sure someone will be along with something a little more helpful soon...

Ok, so I was wrong :)

Andy

just back off the revs and change without the clutch going up the box, should drop in smooth , if doesnt there may be a problem....

all bec boxes  sound as though they are fooooooooooockd so i maybe wouldnt worry toooo much  :D  :D  :D

That's 'cos *all* bike gearboxes are dog boxes. The change from first to second is often noisy (even on a bike) because you have to go through neutral. It's a "double shift" if you like.

And yes, clutchless upshifts are possible, but you *are* taking the corners off your dogs when you do it, so don't be under any illusion. Unless you are racing and *need* to save every tenth of a second, then smash through the 'box all you want. If not, use the pedal on the left and *never* do clutchless downshifts...

And for the record, my biking experience is 25 years worth and around 900,000 miles, so I know how to use a bike gearbox, and I know how to break one... :p

If it's anything like the 'busa in my XTR², 1st to 2nd always sounds like dropping a bucket of bolts on the floor if you drop out of 1st from below 6,000rpm.

Dropping from above 6,000 it's sweet.

Thanks for the feedback guys.  Suppose I'll just have to just practice, b*******, shame that, means I'll have to drive it some more...... ;)

but you *are* taking the corners off your dogs when you do it, so don't be under any illusion. Unless you are racing and *need* to save every tenth of a second, then smash through the 'box all you want. If not, use the pedal on the left

Bummer. I was almost getting the hang of the clutchless bit.   :(

he has...

"they all do that sir"  I'm afraid. I am fitting a cable change to mine though to replace the rods connecting the gear lever to the box - apparently it helps. I'll report back.

Cheers

Mike

Might help with the feel, it won't help the noise. It'll still sound like a bag of spanners when you get a "doggy" (not dodgy, doggy) change. You are merely substituting a solid lever system for a flexible lever system. Nowt wrong with that, but it will do nothing to help with what happens inside the box when a couple of gear dogs meet in the middle and have a fight before engaging...

Felters,

Who told you that a cable would be better?

I fear it will be wasted effort. The Westfield linkage is very good...

I wonder if this is happening as a result of it becoming more common knowledge that Porsch GT3's use cables from the gear lever to the 'box? The ususal "if it's good enough for Porsche..." type deal.

I'd be careful. The Porsche cables that make their system work are works of push/pull art and not easily replicated, I would have thought...

Nah, a lot of BECs use push pull cables.

My doubt is in the friction of the cable. The Westy system is all bronze bushed and moves completely freely with no stiction. All the lever lengths just nicely work too.

I've heard with cables you can get a certain amount of stiction, especially if you've got any significant bends in it.

The lever return spring in the gearbox is very weedy anyway so making it work harder doesnt seem a good idea.