weber TPS wiring

Derby Allen

Still have a problem sorting the wiring on a Weber TPS, problem started when I had to cut the loom on a Dunnell management system to add a longer lead and a different type TPS, the original loom had a round three plug on the end and at the time only ran 2D was wasn't used. Dunnell then remapped the system and sent me a Weber TPS pt no 91sf-989AA. none of the wires match in colour so how do i know which one goes into which terminal. soory to say i had no wiring diagram from dunnell on the TPS and can't seem tofind anything on the web.can anyone advise on the best way to check which wire goes to which terminal. i have joined all three wires via bullett connectors so that i can gain contact with a multimeter and swap around so the are right. any help would be much appreciated. Diagram. link, procedure etc etc

many thanks Steve

Here's what I'd do.  This assumes not having the old TPS.

Unplug the TPS, and carefully power on ECU. Locate the +5V supply lead for the TPS. That's one identified.

Next locate the ground (-ve) TPS connector with ECU powered off. Look for basically zero ohms between the chassis ground and one of the other two bullet connectors.

The 3rd one should have a higher resistance reading, if at all, to the chassis and will be the signal to the ECU.

To then identify the TPS connectors:

Check the resistance across pairs of pins while moving the wiper. Find the pair where the resistance doesn't vary and these will be either end of the track. One will be +ve and the other -ve (ground). The 3rd obviously will be the signal.

The only question is which end will +ve and which will be -ve. Not knowing the Dunnell I can't offer any advice.  It's 50/50 anyway and as it means the TPS will work in reverse I'd expect that you'd soon spot if it was wrong.  A timing strobe would also show if it was advancing as the throttle was opened.

Thanks jed, that info is just what i needed. will give it a go tomorrow night now and post result.

many thanks

Jed, just had a thought, i like the timmong strobe idea but how can i check it on a Zetec. no pulley exposed and no mark or agian am i missing something obvious.

steve