Nearly Finished

Ted

Nearing the end of my build now, it is booked in at Westfield on 28Jun for set-up and pre sva but just a few Q's before it is finished.

1.  First time bleeding brakes, does anyone have any useful tips and is it longest pipe run first?  

2.  How can I reduce the chances of having the rear wheels locking up before the fronts on the SVA brake test.

3.  The car is on the factory supplied Avon tyres what pressure's would you recommend?  

4. Is it advisable to use a sealing compound on the front exhaust join, if so what does everyone use?

Thanks

TED

:)  :)

1 Lots of posts on this

2 With most folk's experience getting any of them to lock at all on a new build is going some! I've forgotten which kit you have, Ted, but from my experience and recent posts you will get a soft feel that won't pump up, but after nearly 200 miles my pedal feel is getting better. I took advice of using Mityvac to suck fluid through rather than push it through.

3 20psi IIRC for 195/60-15

4 Front joint on mine leaked with WF supplied pipe clamp, some sealant made it a bit better but if it's standard WF silencer it's difficult to get both faces with sealer on. When the car went back to WF to sort emissions and the leak, they used a stainless band clamp that is a much better design. The tailpipe to can also leaked which can upset the probe for emissions.

Expect others will be along soon.

Kerry S

[*Bites lip*]

Let me guess something about doing a search, point taken.

TED

:p:p

;)

1.  First time bleeding brakes, does anyone have any useful tips and is it longest pipe run first?

Doesn't really matter. Rear brakes will be the problem if you have Sierra calipers. You may have to bleeb them in your hands with a block of wood in place of the disc. The idea is you keep the bleed nipple uppermost. There are all sorts of tricks, hints, tips and strategies to be found with a little digging around.

2.  How can I reduce the chances of having the rear wheels locking up before the fronts on the SVA brake test.

You could fit aggressive pads in the front, and something nasty and not very grippy in the back for the test. Maybe "standard" rears and Mintex 1144's, 1155's or Ferodo DS2500's in the front.

You might try bedding in the fronts, but immediately before the test fit a set of brand new unbedded pads to the rears. Brake pads and what to use comes up regularly.

3.  The car is on the factory supplied Avon tyres what pressure's would you recommend?

20psi for a starting point. However if you have self centering issues with the steering, you may need to lower that (or raise it if you have an SDV) on the day. Plenty about this in the last few weeks.  

4. Is it advisable to use a sealing compound on the front exhaust join, if so what does everyone use?

Loctite make an exhaust sealing compound that is also Lambda sensor safe, if that is an issue. The product number is in the archive...

but immediately before the test fit a set of brand new unbedded pads to the rears

Good advice for the passing the SVA test but this is a very temorary solution.

If it is a problem sort it out properly before driving any distance on the road. (especially near me!!!;)

Did Blatman really answer a question without actually saying "do a search".....I think I feel dizzy

Think it must be a case of identity theft, either that or he's finally gone mad  :p  :p  :D  :D