Handbrake Mounting

pgh

So today's questions...

I started fitting the handbrake, however, I have no holes drilled in the chassis to mount it to. Before I drill the two mounting holes, can I check with someone that the handbrake mounts in the centre of the tunnel please?

Also, in order to ensure that I was putting the handbrake in the right  position, I laid the tunnel top panels out on top of the tunnel. Problem is, combined, the three panels are too long for the tunnel, meaning that they have to overlap in order to fit. Also, none of the rivet holes in the panels line up with the holes pre-drilled into the chassis. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks,

Paul

The handbrake does indeed install bang in the centre of the tunnel.

I cannot remember for certain which ones but yes, some of the aluminium sheets do overlap so the total length will be longer then the space available. The idea is that you stop dirt ingress and have an inspection panel for adjustment of the cable if required.

Thank you again  :)

Don't suppose anyone has a picture of the adjuster part of the handbrake? I've got a white thing, a yellow thing with a nut, a rubber grommet & some blue sleeving along with a manual that's none too helpful.

There's also that funny black bracket thing that was mentioned yesterday...

What rear brakes are you using, discs or drums as the cable will be different ?

On my Sport 1800 with golf calipers I mounted the handbrake handle towards the drivers side slightly because the hole in the aluminium panel from westfield was pre cut this way.

The holes in my panels did line up when i over lapped them, make sure the rearmost small panel is over the top of the one in front so that it can be removed to adjust the handbrake if required.

Jack T

Whilst the manual does not show the metal spring clip from yesterdays thread the rest should be clear, the cross bar behind the handbrake mounting bars has two holes for the cable, the right hand is for the cable with the two white plastic adjustment nuts which should be fitted either side. The left hand hole is for the non adjustable side of the cable and it is this side that has the black metal clip as discussed yesterday.

To protect the cable from chaffing on the chassis/diff I used split plastic convoluted sleeving attached with cable ties.

For information my clutch cable has blue sleeving, yellow ring and plastic bush but not the handbrake cable which is black with white nuts.

Can't add a picture as I don't have a digital camera.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Thanks Steve. The adjuster thingy is simple enough, the parts that were confusing me were the blue sleeving and the rubber grommet. My concern with the sleeving was that it was required at some point of contact with the chassis for SVA purposes.

I'll get it all fitted as a dry run & then give the experts a call in the morning...

Thanks for all the help,

Paul

Paul,

Bear in mind that the cable will be from a production car and is not specific to Westfield, the rubber gromets serve no purpose.

Just make sure that you add sleeving at any contact point yourself to avoid SVA issues.

Steve

And as you have Golf callipers like I did, you will find that the barrel shaped ends of the cable do not fit too well in the levers, but they seem to work. It's on my to-do list to make up some semi-circular inserts to make a neater job of it.

The grommets on the cable; I placed them near some of the brake pipes that seemed rather close.

That little black clip thing is a right b****d to fit on the not adjuster side.

Kerry S

Hi Kerry,

Had a go at fitting the black thing last night. Quickly gave up!

Will try a small hammer on it tonight...

Hi Paul,

Something I noted when sitting in the car the other day:

I am a bit gangly but I find the handbrake does get in the way of my gearchange arm. I have seen cars with the h/b angled away to the passenger side ∨ the whole h/b 1" off centre towards the passenger side.

Obviously the second method would give problems with the carpet fit but the first would not. Neither would be a problem in a stripped out racer / track day job  :D

Ta

Geoff

:)

Hi Geoff,

As pointed out elsewhere in the thread, the tunnel panel cutout is slightly offset towards the driver consequently, I've had to mount the handbrake just off centre in the tunnel. I was a bit worried about this being a problem so thanks for the tip - a bench vice & some percussive maintenance should sort this if it's a problem!

Cheers,

Paul

I am a bit gangly but I find the handbrake does get in the way of my gearchange arm.

Amazing how we all see things differently ( than goodness! ) I find the handbrake lever makes a reasonably comfortable arm rest when cruising!