Engne started first time yesterday

al4carol48

I don't speak up very often but I need your help.

We've got an 1800 zetec on TBs.

We started the engine for the first time yesterday but it wouldn't stop when we took the key out!  So we removed the fuel pump fuse to stop it.  It ran for a couple of minutes, there was 4 - 5 bar oil pressure and no leaks.

When we started it again it wouldn't idle properly and would cut out unless we ket the throttle slightly open.  We think that the exhaust might have a slight leak at the joint near lamba sensor (that can't help!;)

Any suggestions?

Also what do you do with the small overflow pipe at the top of the ally radiator

Thanks.

Also what do you do with the small overflow pipe at the top of the ally radiator

Should run to the small inlet at the top of the expansion tank! Are you using the plastic ford type supplied by westfield?

The air leak around the lamba sensor will be doing you no favours as to why the engine won't stop not sure on this one could be a few things causing it!!

Barry

If by 'small overflow pipe' you mean the one about 6mm in diamter  at nearside top then you need to seal it off by tapping a 6mm hole, smearing a 6mm stainless steel bolt with silicone and screwing it into the tapped hole.

The small leak in the exhaust although not good, will not be causing the symptoms that you have. If the only way of stopping the fuel pump with the ignition turned off was to remove the fuse the you have:-

(a) a faulty ignition switch    or

(b) an incorrect permanent live feed to the ECU  or

© perhaps a stuck relay from the ECU to fuel pump control relay

For the engine to continue to run, I would have to suspect that the ECU remains fully powered with the ignition off which indicates a wiring fault. There should be both a permanent and an ignition switched 12v supply to the ECU - maybe both your feeds are permanent?

If by 'small overflow pipe' you mean the one about 6mm in diamter  at nearside top then you need to seal it off by tapping a 6mm hole, smearing a 6mm stainless steel bolt with silicone and screwing it into the tapped hole.

Why is that then steve? On my last car it ran to the expansion tank.

4143.jpeg

Barry

Barry, my aluminium rad. ( WF supplied ) is entirely different from the one in your photograph in that it has plastic 'cheeks' on it! The 7mm 'overflow pipe' on mine is little more than a plastic nipple.

al4carol48, if your radiator is the same as Barry's then my comments on this nipple are not valid ....

I don't speak up very often but I need your help.

We started the engine for the first time yesterday but it wouldn't stop when we took the key out!  So we removed the fuel pump fuse to stop it.  It ran for a couple of minutes, there was 4 - 5 bar oil pressure and no leaks.

Does that mean you ran it with no water in the cooling system.  ???  :0

John.

No!

I "bodged" it.  I connected a tube to the nipple and clamped the end of the tube, worked a treat.  I don't think I'll get away with that at SVA though!