2 more questions

pgh

Evening all,

Questions again I'm afraid. Hopefully one day I'll be able to give some useful advice to someone rather than it being one way traffic...

Just fitted the steering column and added the track rod end ball joints. The manual mentions nothing about putting a washer under the lock nut on the taper that connects the ball joint to the upright. Should there be one? Seems a strange omission.

And next question...

According to the manual, the upper steering column is fixed with 2 x 20mm bolts at the top. However, I only have 25mm bolts - does this really matter? The module 2 bolt sheet doesn't actually mention 20mm bolts, so I'm assuming not, but thought I'd check anyway.

Thanks again,

Paul

No washer is installed on the track rod ball joint!

The 25mm bolts on the upper steering column will be fine.

Column installed. Much head scratching when it didn't line up with the hole Westfield had cut in the aluminium panel. Then spotted the picture of the aluminium spacer on Chris Bradley's site...

Steppenwolf, as you said, 25mm is fine. Not using a washer seems wrong somehow. However, thanks for the reassurance!

Paul

What engine are you using, if it's a zetec with standard injection you'll have to enlarge the hole in the bulkhead down a bit to get the lower column to clear the plenum.

John

It's a Zetec with the new Westfield throttle body thing. Guess I'll have to wait and see once the engine is in. Thanks for the warning though

with the new Westfield throttle body thing

Is this the black cast item that they had on show at Stoneleigh? If so, how much was it  'cos they couldn't tell us at Stoneleigh as the price had 'not been decided'?

Indeed it is.

The red car that was showing this at Stoneleigh now appears to be Westfield's new demonstrator - I saw it again when I went to Westfield yesterday to swap a dented headlight.

£500 was the sum Richard added to my order for this + the 130 cams + MBE ecu. I ordered the day before Stoneleigh, however, I suspect that it's easy to price something as part of a kit...

Photo's should be available later on today when I finally get my build site sorted out.

Paul

£500 was the sum Richard added to my order for this + the 130 cams + MBE ecu.

Thanks Paul. I assume that you mean that the Throttle Body, 130 cams and MBE ECU came to a total of £500.00? Did you buy the engine itself from Westfield or source that externally?

as far as i know the uprights come with a washer, mine did and i fitted it.

theres a steel sleeve in the casting, wouldnt want to build them up without the washer in

I can confirm that if you have aluminium uprights then you should have been supplied with a washer for both upper and lower joints - I was commenting specifically on the track rod end question! Wherever there is a steel to aluminium interface there should always be a 'penny washer' to avoid the aluminium wearing away. If you look inside the the upright, you will see that a large milled section has been left for the washer to fit into.

You still don't require a washer under the track rod end ball joint as this is a steel part.

Got the penny washers fitted into the uprights, it was the severe warnings about putting these in that made me think about the track rod ones.

Thanks for checking though  :D