What oil for a Pinto engine

Richard Houlgate

When I acquired my car Chris (the vendor) told me I should use 15/50 or similar as its an old fashioned engine (albeit in good condition).

I use Morris 10w/40 semi synthetic in my Austin 7 with good results and would like to use the same in the Westfield. Any thoughts?

Whilst I  am asking questions, is the Pinto OK to run on unleaded? The head has been breathed on and I run the car on 98 octane fuel.

It might or might not be suited to unleaded - both exist. You need to know more about the spec of the head. Vulcan, acknowledged experts on Pinto tuning, recommend Valvoline Racing 20W-50.

From a MG web site

Valvoline Oil (5 Litres @ £17.50)

Valvoline 20w50 Racing Oil was originally developed for the rigours of Indianapolis, its additive package is designed to protect at high temperature and high loads, which makes it particularly good for 'enthusiastically' driven Midgets B's and C's.

Its viscosity is also ideally suited for older style pushrod engined cars, whose tolerances and seals were not originally designed for the more modern thinner viscosity oils.

5 Litres - £17.50