steering rack extensions

m12oly

I have fitted the steering rack extensions to the westfiled supplied steering rack and have found the it makes the rack to long.  Is it essential to use these because at present both front wheels are pointing outwards!  I have connected it all up without them on and the front wheels seem to be pointing straighter

cheers

olly

Hi Olly

I don’t know what combination of bits you’re talking about, but if it makes more sense to assemble without the spacers, I’d suggest you do that.  If these are the only bits you have left over after the build, you’ve done very well…..

Hi Olly, I assume that you are building an SDV? If you are then have you cut the rack down to the specified dimmensions before fitting the spacers? I have not fitted my rack yet so am interested in your findings.

Paul

I found that after i had cut my rack down to the spec dimensions i couldn't get enough toe in adjustment with the extensions fitted! IIRC it was a case of making some thinner lock nuts that sorted my problem, and I also recall that this is a common problem amongst SDV builders

Hope this helps :)

I think I read somewhere on here, not very long ago, that with the SDV the adustment will need to be toe out. I'm not sure how much but understand that this helps the steering to self center on the SVA. I think this has something to do with the Sierra uprights although there is no mention in the build supplement. Any further info would be appreciated.

Paul  ;)

I am in the process of an SDV build and would appreciate any tips on this issue

Steve

i cut my rack down to the dimensions in the manual and fitted the extensions and the toe in was spot on....this i assume was just lucky, although i can't get anymore toe in unless i thin the lock nuts down.

I may, when i have time, run an extra 10-20mm of thread on it to allow for the unexpected ???

If you can get away without the extensions.... then go for it..

Steve :)