Gear ratios

chrisc

Hi there,

Recently purchased my first Westy and have a very basic question. The gear ratio is massive between 2nd and 3rd. When coming to a tight bend. I have to slow right down (more than should be necessary) before I can shift down into 2nd and when coming out of the bend. If I shift back up to 3rd at say 5000 revs, the revs fall far too low and I have no power. Can anyone give me advice as to a cheap solution? Is it possible to adjust the gear ratio on the current box? How can I identify which box I currently have? The guy I bought it from had a 5 speed box, but said he didn’t get around to fitting it. I have already been advised that it’s a big job changing a 4 speed to a 5 speed, especially for a complete novice like myself. :p 

21,000 miles, 1700 crossflow with a Burton head, Kent cam and twin 40 webbers 1989 pre lit, 4 speed.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated

ChrisC

Gear ratios are not adjustable other than changing the gear in the box it self. So it would be a gearbox out and away to someone like Quaif, Tran-X or if the car is road use BGH.

I see there being a couple of options.  You could change the diff ratio to make the overall gearing more suitable for the road.  The gear ratios on the four speed type E box are normally pretty good so I'm wondering if you have an odd diff ratio.  What sort of revs are you at, at say 50mph in fourth?  My old X-flow four speed would have been about 3500 and I found that the rest of the ratios were ok.

The other options is, as has been said, swap to a five speeder.  Its not a huge job, or so I've been told.  possibly a tiny bit of welding to fit new mounts.  There's plenty in the archives about this.

gadrego, not sure of revs in 4th at 50mph, will check tomorrow evening (if not lashing it down) and get back to you.

Matt, thanks for the info will bear it in mind. I'm on a tight budget at the moment so I may have to live with it for a while, just want to see what the options are.

???

I purchased a 1700 crossflow, 4 speed last year. I've converted to a 5 peed "type 9" with a 3.89 diff and it works just fine.

Need to identify what you have at the mo.

Then check the ratios of other 4 speeders.

Chris's main problem is he has no garage facility to enable the removal of engine and box so would have to outsource the work which does start to make it expensive.

Chris, told MK about the 5 speeder and he has your number so will contact you when he is ready to move on this

What size tyres have you got fitted? If they are 185/60x13 then it sounds like you have a 3.54 ish diff not a bad thing if you have a 4 speed gearbox.

The tires are 185/70 r 13's

Sounds like this might not be helping, 185/60 13's will be an easy way of shortening all of your gear ratios and given the revs that your engine is doing at 50 in fourth it does sound like your overall gearing might be a bit too long.

Is there a site which will give a list of all the different ford 4 speed gearboxes and their gear ratios

OK had a search myself

Chris's box is a bit of a hybrid being a 4 speed with sepparate bellhousing.  I recon its from a 1.6 Sierra and the ratios could be as follows:

1st = 3.656:1

2nd = 2.185:1

3rd = 1.425:1

4th = 1:1

The step between 2nd and 3rd is  .76 which is a BIG gap

I've always found THIS quite handy... :)