which westy ?

Lurksalot

I am on the  verge of entering what I hope to be a total   :D  zone. I have done a bit of lurking but would like a bit of general advice. The car will be primarily for track days ,maybe the odd sprint ,but road legal ,I assume I will need RAC rollbar and probably bucket seats but what is my best buy for about £8K

As I might share track days (with a fellow pie eater) who has a different  prefered driving position ,can the seats be adjusted a) easily or   b) at all ?

Finally how much tinkering do you have to do ? I just want to nail it hard  :D  and change the oil once in a while .

I will grow into upgrades ,I am sure ,but I don't  want them to be immediatley compulsory .

all  opinions (and fully sorted motors) accepted with thanks.

Welcome aboard!

Firstly, yes, most 'road' cars will have adjustable seats. My first car did (a road-going spec Zetec engined car) and I had adjustable seats fitted into my current car (a more track-spec Vx engined car).

8k should put you into the middle of 16V engined cars, you should be able to get a decent 2 litre Zetec or Vauxhall engined car for that kind of money.

As far as what work needs doing, I had my Zetec engined car for nearly two years, and basically only did 'regular' servicing on it. After  that time and a few track days the brakes needed a little attention (new rear calipers and uprated pads sorted that at little expense).

Where in the country are you located? Best bet is to get along to your local area meet, kick some tyres and talk to the members there. You'll learn a whole lot, and it'll give you an idea of what different kinds of cars are out there.

:t-up:

Andy

If you look in the cars for sale bit there is the IDEAL trackday toy for sale in Jonny Thakery's 1.8 zetec car. Stanwood engineering engine 200bhp and by all accounts a very solid car with sorted handling.

Having a look at it myself on Sunday

I am in Chester and will be away on holiday for the next club meets (accruing brownie points ) I understand they meet in the first week of the month.

What are you doing at the end of June? Get yourself along to Curborough (near Lichfield) for the club's weekend on 25th / 26th June. You'll see loads of cars, maybe be able to blag a couple of passenger rides, and also see aSprint into the bargain. You might be able to have a beer or two as well... :)

Andy

Nope. I think there's a small charge for camping. Bring your own food to throw on the BBQ and a supply of your favourite tipple.

More details in this thread.

Andy

If you look in the cars for sale bit there is the IDEAL trackday toy for sale in Jonny Thakery's 1.8 zetec car.

I cant see this ad in the for sale section .is it me?

I think it's a relatively old ad...one sec.

Andy

This one.

Now is probably a time to have a play with the 'Search' button at top right :)

Andy

How old is she? Bring her along :)

Andy

Whoops  I have just lost half my brownie points 25-26 june is my daughters b/day weekend :D:(

That's no excuse. It's the day after my wedding anniversary and I'm going :oops:

Jonny Thakery's 1.8 zetec car.

Scott

this car does seem to have the right bits (as if I'd Know)

But I bet he wouldn't let me have it for £8k