Torx Drive Tool

pgh

Evening All,

Putting together an order for the tools I don't yet have, one of which is the torx 45 drive tool. Question is, will a short one such as this do the job? Or do I need a longer socket such as this in order to not foul on the lobro joint/rubber gaiter thingy?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

I have used both short and long, but I think the long bit tends to be slightly easier for the reason as you have identified.

However, if you are also planning on stripping a donor first, an angle grinder is easier still - just zap the heads of the bolts off...

Super - thank you. New module build, so no stripping down required  :)

Thanks for the super fast reply too!

Paul

However, if you are also planning on stripping a donor first, an angle grinder is easier still - just zap the heads of the bolts off...

Just drop the whole subframe, its much much easier than trying to get the diff out on its own.

My kit came with joints that used allen key type bolts not torx type, have they changed them since I got my kit in jan '05?  ???  ???

John

Hi John,

Not sure - I was working from the build manual/Steppenwolf's tool list. Hopefully I'll get torx bolts having just ordered the right socket  :(

Not too much longer to wait now - 2nd June getting ever closer...

Paul

Paul,

Good luck with the build. I found the early stages where OK. I am now doing the body, scuttle,etc and you seem to spend hours on the car for very little visual difference. Nearly there now, though, going to apply for SVA, and get a date for the end of July.

John

From what I've read, the scuttle is about the worst part of the build?

I'm not looking forward to doing the wheel boxes and demister vents - looks rather fiddly and the manual seems very vague...

Not sure - I was working from the build manual/Steppenwolf's tool list. Hopefully I'll get torx bolts having just ordered the right socket

New kit = allen key bolts on lobro's.

HTH

Thanks Flappa. Don't suppose you can remember what size? I've ordered 6mm and 8mm allen/hex sockets. Hoping it's one of those two sizes!

Paul

Don't know if they are on your tool list but ratchet spanners were some of the most useful tools I bought, worth their weight in gold IMHO

TED

:):)

Don't know if they are on your tool list but ratchet spanners were some of the most useful tools I bought, worth their weight in gold IMHO

I got a set of halfords ones, the quarter of a turn at a time jobs now take 30 secs and not 3 days :t-up:

Good point - hadn't thought about the restricted access!

Have a 6mm + 8mm ratchet spanner. What other sizes are useful to have?

Paul

10mm's quite handy too. Allen keys or bits with a ball driver, (ooh er missus :blush: ) on one end are really useful as well.