Help Needed Fitting Tonneau

R Tyas

Help has anyone go some tips for fitting tonneau covers, i am trying to rivet the presstuds to the bodywork but the rivets will not hold the male presstud secure to the bodywork

Thanks Rob

Use peel rivets, or long reach ally rivets with a washer between the back of the rivet and the fibreglass.

Had no problems fitting mine with the standard poppers and rivits supplied by the factory!

Barry

Use peel rivets, or long reach ally rivets with a washer between the back of the rivet and the fibreglass.

Seconded, recently fitted the stud for a tonneau, used peel rivets and they worked a treat.

Helped a friend building a tiger and he used the longer rivets with washers method and that worked fine too.

I fitted a couple to strap my boot lid down - don't know if I used too long peel rivets but they wouldn't tighten up before the rivet shafts broke off. Had to drillthe first ones out holding the back of the rivet with some pliers to stop it spinning. I then used an old nut (small enough to fit inside the press stud) between the face of the rivet and the rivet gun. They then tighten up properly before the rivet shaft broke off and the nut fell onto the floor.

Cheers

Kev.

I'm planning on fitting mine tomorrow. I think i have long peel rivets (but i'll check) otherwise, i'll try and put a washer on the otherside to stop it pulling out.

Sean

I used peel rivets but found that the poppers worked loose after a while. I eventually put some 5mm rivnuts on and used short machine screws with countersunk heads (from B&Q) that fit just inside the male poppers

Does the Wf supplied tonneau cover go over the boot box lid OK? I had trouble stretching the hood over mine, and would want to use the same fixings for a tonneau.

Tamariki

It's supposed to, yes. It did on my old Zetec car, but it was a tight fit.

Andy