Tax exempt?

Boomy

Firslty i tried a search but didn't see anything specific in the 10 or so pages i just trawled through (maybe i need search engine lessons! )  ;)

So, could anyone who is not bored of probably repeating themselves regarding such things suggest to me whether i do actually need tax?

By all accounts my pre lit is an 87 se, but the donor vehicle was some cortina which i assume was a 70's car because it was suggested it was tax exempt.Or at least Pezza and a few people before him never had tax : p

I am asking due to the fact that 1) a friend of mine said i need to go fill out forms even if it is tax exempt because i need a free tax disc thingy etc and 2) my insurance company said it is not tax exempt.

I'm not bothered about the expense, but there are certain types of people in this world, some are lucky and some are not so lucky with things like this.

So while some people could have no MOT, no tax, bald tyres and would only get a round of applause from members of the local police station as they sat doing doughnuts outside the main entrance, i have no doubt i will be busted if am not taxed but should be as i poodle down a country lane.

Clicky

I would say the key point is probably "vehicles *constructed* before 1973".  I don't really know how kit cars are registered; based on this, I would guess that unless your car is registered as per the original donor vehicle, with the date of pre-1973 on your V5, I reckon you need tax.  

It's worth noting that the site also says that even if tax exempt, your car must still be registered etc.  Best contact your DVLA office for the definitive answer - although I'd have thought that if your car is correctly registered, they should be sending you the appropriate confirmation or renewal reminders through anyway, shouldn't they?

Was it given the donor vehicle reg? or is it a Q or are related to 87' ??? if it's the former and its pre 73 then you should be OK, you'll still need a tax disc to prove MOT etc but you don't have to pay for it....

My 1990 kit is registered as Tax Exempt Historic on the V5 as it was given its donor cars details.  ( the old L reg )

I still have to go to the post office and get the tax disk, I just don't give them any money when I get it  :D:D:D:D

Your car reg looks like a Q to me from your avtart, so I would think you will have to pay.  Check your V5 though!

Rob

news to me and I owned it for a year lol

it wasn't sorn'd and I never had any letters from the DVLA

chap I bought it off said it was tax exempt, so I just insured it and drove it  :0

Pez

Many kit cars replicas are tax exempt. If they use enough of the donor parts the car is registered as a “1970 Westfield” for instance & will have "Historic" on the disc..  

If your car is tax exempt you still need a tax disc.  Go to the Post Office with all your documents, as usual, but you don’t have to pay !!

Its great.  

Remember it’s an offence not to show a tax disc.

Steve @ sVc

Sounds a little dodgy to me too, but surely the DVLA would have been knocking if it was supposed to have tax paid for?

Andy

Assuming it's your address on their computer of course.

Whatever age, you will be done for failing to display a tax disc if you don't have one.