Dash panel attachment

Steve L

One of my low-priority projects is to replace the current metal with fake leather dash panel with walnut burl veneer on plywood. I have seen a few such panels without visible screw holes.

Does anyone know how they are attached? One person told me that his had a metal bar with welded-on studs glued to the back of the plywood, but I can't imagine how I could make one myself.

Does anyone have an alternative suggestion?

Cheers,

Steve L (in Germany)

If I screw it in from behind, then I have just the tips of the screws in 4 mm plywood, and I doubt that that will hold for very long. Not to mention that using a screwdriver from behind the dash panel would be difficult.

Steve L

if the panel is veneered you could glue some countersunk M6 bolts in to the ply and then veneer over the heads.

so you just have studs sticking out the back when its all done.

just make sure that they are not over tightened

or I'm sure you could find some sort of catch/door shut holder type thing to hold the dash in place instead of bolts

I have considered this also, but am a bit concerned that the bolts will not stay in. And if I use counter-sunk head screws and put them through from the front and then veneer over them, I am in trouble if the heads come loose and turn in their holes.

Has anyone tried this method?

I am not sure what is meant with "door shut holder type thing".

Is there anyone out there with a veneer dash panel of the sort I am describing?

Steve L

Not wood & veneer, but I did the invisible fixing thing by fitting a few movable tags around the edge - hard to describe really, but the idea is you turn them inward to face each other, drop the dash in, then turn them outward so they grip behind the fibreglass lip on the scuttle. I'm sure you could adapt this method using a bolt countersunk from the front, then veneer over it.

Steve,

it only a thought, but what about using the substrate of you old dash (ie. the al or f/glass bit) screwed as normal to the scuttle and 'Velcro' your veneer onto that, the gauges would give a extra bit of support too.

I expect to be 'shot down in flames' the the other members now :durr:

Gray

Hi Gray,

actually it sounds like an interesting proposition. But since I will take the opportunity to reposition all of the switches and dials, it would be a lot of work and the metal would look like Swiss cheese when I am done. BUT I could combine your idea with the original idea and cut a 2-inch strip with the screw holes from my old panel and velcro the new panel onto that.

Does anyone have any experience with Velcro? If I drive over a couple miles of bumpy road, will the dash panel be hanging from the wiring?

Steve L

Steve,

I worked out in the States for a time some while ago and GM Truck were fixing there bumpers (Fenders to them) on with a heavy duty 'Velcro' however, they stopped using it after a year as the bumpers, due to the vabrations on driving afix solid to the chassis members and GM dealerships had problems getting them off during service.

How's that for strength.

Gray

Well, it really sounds as if it is worth a try. If I wind up with the dash board in my lap, I can always resort to screws and rosettes, same as the current board is attached.

And if anyone should point a finger and laugh at the Velcro, I can live with it.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Steve L

So what is a JBA?

Its a bit like a JCB  :D  ;)