brake light adjustment?

thwagmostar

No brake lights that I could see.  After checking all fuses, wiring, etc. I decided to risk it and get back home with no brake lights.  I was rather POed, so the first thing I did was stand on the brake pedal, and on they went.  It takes significant pedal pressure to turn them on, but they are working.  I feel like an idiot to ask, but is there some way to adjust this, or should I replace the sensor?

I can only guess that this is related to adjusting the balance bar (dual cylinder) months ago, and only just noticed that my lights weren't on when they should be.  And the brakes are balanced just right!

sounds like the sensor is not getting enough presure unless you press hard.

try getting a mate to watch when they come on to see how much presure is needed, if its to much may be someone else has fitted an electric one ?

Well first things first, check the circuit.  The easy way is to disconnect the pressure sensor and short the connections.  The lights should come on.  If not then there is a fault ing the circuit.  If they do come on then fit a micro switch to the brake pedal.  You need a mounting plate ( bit of ali) for the switch attached to the bottom brake pedal bolt and a plate sandwich at the back of the pedal fork.  The micro switch should be connected to the normally closed connections.  Piggy back the connections on to the brake pressure switch.

easy.

p.s. make sure it is robust enough to kick

The circuit is in good shape (lights do come on with heavy pressure).  Questionable sensor though.  I may just equal out the balance bar again and see if the lights come on any sooner.  If they do, I'd be surprised if this isn't a common ailment.  May have to go with the micro switch solution (good one Pat).

10,000+ mile Megabusa

it is common

sometimes the switch is pointing up which can leed to it having an air bubble inside against the switch. other times the switches are just not sensitive enough.

i have wired up an alternative microswitch in the past but also replaced the switch with a new one for better (not perfect) results

which circuit is the switch on the front or rear?

Sensor is on the rear... I got my thoughts backwards on the balance bar, which should have had zero affect.  It must be the sensor.  I'm off to find a replacement.

IMHO, the pressure switches gradually get less efficient.  No idea why they should, but think I fitted 3 before I finally fitted a microswitch behind the pedal.  Each one was OK at first but gradually got worse.  Microswitch been on a couple of years now with no probs - adjusted so lights come on as soon as I touch the pedal

It seems that many hydraulic brake switches are having this fault - I think the brake fluid is swelling the diaphram until it no longer works.

I've stopped selling these switches at sVc due to reliability problems, & I I've changed over to a mechanical switch on my car!

Steve @ sVc

Once wired up a blokes Orion brakes so that the break light switch also activated the horn.

Oh how we laughted, he'll never forget that Monday morning Comute through Sudbury and Egham. :D  :p  :D