Another SVA fail.

Paul B

Failed my retest on emissions again. It's a 192bhp Duratec I4 with Raceline TB's and Webcon ECU. All std stuff from WF

Since my last failure (Lambda was at 1.06 instead of between 0.97 and 1.03) I've trailored the car back to WF (280 mile round trip) to have it set-up by the experts!

They played around with the TPS until it passed the test on their equipment. They got the Lambda to 1.03 and CO to 0.01%.

The TPS voltage was at 1.000 volts with the throttle plate against the wall of the TB. Webcon fitting manual tells you to set it between 0.955-0.959 volt but this didn't work on the first test.

When I got the car to SVA, Lambda was 0.86 and CO up above 5%. I tried readjusting the TPS on the fly to try and squeeze through the test but after half and hour failed. The slightest movement of the TPS causes the reading to fluctuate all over the place.

Spoke to Mark at WF who asked if I had asked to see the testing stations calibration certificate. Sure I did (not). Anyway I know of two cars that passed emissions on the same equipment this week. Mark says I need to take it back to them for another set-up but I can see the same happening again. WF don't have the equipment to interrogate the ECU so have no idea if all the sensors are sending valid data back. Would I be better at a Webcon agent? Any one know where the nearest one to Huddersfield is?

I've felt really low all weekend. Over 18 grand of expenditure and no end in sight. :(  :(  :(

Has anyone out there got the same set-up as me through SVA?

Paul, I suggest you contact Webcon direct, you will NOT be the first. I stated this last year and nothing has improved.

DENNIS VESSEY MOTOR ENGINEER

Fernery Road, Barnetby,

HUMBERSIDE,

DN38 6HN  

Tel: (01652) 688904

Fax: (01652) 688659

Not to far from you

Paul

I've got the same setup as you but fortunately had no trouble getting through the emission test at the SVA at Derby. The TPS is critical and could be having an effect, there again there is no guarantee the ecu has the correct map!!

Do you have the silencer with cat?

I spoke to Webcon a couple of days ago about tps setup, mapping etc. Ended up talking to Alan the Duratec development guy, very helpful he was. Give him a call.

Dont worry it will work, keep positive it will all be worth it :D  :D

I have the silencer with the cat.

I spoke to webcon last week for some tips as I feared I might have to do some adjusting at SVA. They wern't that helpful but maybe I didn't get through to the correct person.

The person I spoke to said that if you are strugling to get lambda within limits, it's usually the throttle body air flow balance that needs sorting.

I would have thought WF would have checked this!

Trying to keep positive.

Paul,

Sorry to hear of your SVA troubles...

Mine is not a Duratec but if you have a CAT fitted did they run it long enough to reach temperature? Mine (1800 Zetec) failed first emmissions test, but when he then ran a second longer test which included (IIRC) a 3 min CAT warm up, it passed.

I'm sure he said that this was the 'full MOT' test.

It may help you. All the best anyway :)

I've got the same setup,I also had probs with my emmissions. P##@ @##l had a go at setting it, and told me the ECU was mapped wrong. Took it down to westfield and a bit of tweeking with the TPS and all fine.

Passed the SVA no probs at Derby.

Could you have a bad connection on the joint from the ECU loom to the TPS connector? Did you have to change the connector on the loom to mach the one on the TPS? if so did you solder the joints? with such critical readings a less than perfect connection would make the readings go all over the place.

Good look

Woz,

Car is booked back in with WF end of next week.

I'll check the joints. It's that long ago that I wired in the TPS, I can't remeber how I connected it. From memory I think I cut off the round connector and fitted a rectangular one supplied with the Webcon stuff to match the loom connector.

Do you remeber what you got the Lambda reading down to?

Do you remeber what you got the Lambda reading down to?

At 2620rpm the lambda was 1.014 but did go up to 1.029    the HC was 39ppm   and the CO was 0.19% this was at Westfield.

Woz

Spoke to Mark at WF who asked if I had asked to see the testing stations calibration certificate. Sure I did (not).

Not as daft as it sounds. When mine failed on emissions, I'd had it at the local MOT station where it had just passed with just under  4.5% co... I thought I'd save any hassle and not mess with it, then get it sorted after SVA (mistake!;) anyway, it came out at 6% on SVA mans tester. I moaned a bit and the guy said he'd retest at the end on the other machine that had just come back from calibration...

True to his word and showing a rare glimpse of humanity (though I'd already failed on brake bias plus a few bits of nonsense) the guy re-did the emssions test at the end on the 'freshly calibrated' machine, 5%... still a fail but I could have probably got that under by taking the bonnet off and getting some nice cool air in ;)

Point is, the machine they first used was reading 20% higher than it should.

Graham.