Another Gearbox Question

waynem

MT75, Raceline lightened Flywheel/Borg Beck clutch plate/AP friction plate on 2.0L Zetec Black-Top

Got gearbox and engine mated, but noticed that clutch release arm was right at the back of the "window" in the gearbox bell housing.

I am using the Westfield clutch release bearing/spacer assembly thing.

Is it normal for the arm to be right back, or does it sound like I have too much spacing between bearing and clutch springs ?

I am concerned that I would be already applying some pressure to the clutch springs without even applying the clutch. I suppose I can slacken the gearbox and engine and see if I get some slack back in the clutch release arm.

I would be interested to know if anyone else has used a similar setup, and what release bearing was used.

Thanks..

Wayne M

Are you sure there is no free play at the clutch you do need free play or the clutch will slip or won't last long at all

surprised your not using a hydraulic clutch  :D

This is the thing. No free play as the arm is being forced right back by the large relase/bearing/spacer.

With a cable clutchI would expect the arm to be toward the rear but with a fair amount of room for adjustment...

I may try to get hold of the unmodified release bearing and try that. I don't suppose anyone knows the part number?

Wayne M

Wayne,

I used the modified bearing when I had a standard flywheel and clutch set up.

Changed to a Raceline flywheel etc over the winter and found that it only needed the standard bearing (Sierra/Granada)

I will post the part number up later :t-up:

Cheers,

Rich.

I have a Dunnel flywheel and clutch, since fitting that I had to do away with the Westfield spacer and just get a standard one.

G

A picture speaks a thousand.....

clutch2.JPG

You can see the clutch arm waaaaay back, and how the clutch springs, spacer and release bearing cause this. This also shows that an unmodified bearing should hopefully do the trick..

Wayne M