more bhp help

wacomuk

standard type 9, 3.92diff and 205x50x15 Toyo proxes

Tyres & diff seem OK then (maybe LSD ???) new ratio's for the box.  :t-up: Job Done ???

terry was told it had a LSD when he bought the car but if it is a LSD its not locking. is there any marks to say its a LSD? and what type of LSD do ford use?

Ford use viscous LSD, how do you know it's not locking?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wacomuk

• Terry Everall

• scott beeland

• Mark Stanton

The rattle may just be the clutch arm adjustment

Try a spring on it to the bell housing to stop rattle

Do search for BGH gearboxes on the web - should find them

I liked a 2.39 first gear if you can get it.

Im not really up on gear ratios is there a site that explains it?

is 2.39 longer or shorter than i have now ?

If you currently have a standard type 9 fitted, a 2.39 first gear is *nearly* second gear with the box your presently have fitted.

So you won't be looking to change to second as soon as the car has moved then. :t-up: The rest of the gears are then closer together, so the revs drop less between each gear.

In fact, when I had a standard box in mine, I never used to bother with first gear for quick starts - I found it a complete waste of time.

HTH Stu.

The 2.39 first , 205x50x15 tyres and 3.92 diff will give you betwen 50 -55 mph depending on what revs you limit it to

I have

1st 2.04

2nd 1.54

3rd 1.21

4th 1.1

5th 0.87

An AP twin plate clutch and a light weight flywheel on my Duratec with a 3.92 LSD diff and this is ok on the road

If you're intent on changing something I'd go for a BGH Type 9 box with a 2.66 1st. Will be great with your diff and make the car much more driveable. std type 9 ratios just don't give enough speed per gearIMO. You get a great deal at BGH paying by cash/cheque. Best thing I've done to my car yet I reckon

where can i find out more about BGH?  the gearbox is going to have to come off soon something is rattling, im hoping its just the thrust Bering

He doesn't have a website but if you google serch BGH Geartech you'll get his phone number. A pleasure to deal with

Sounds like you should have let me have Terry's car & you bought a V8 then got extra BHP from that!! *sigh* ;):):p:D

YOU should have been quicker putting yer hand in yer pocket for this FINE car :D

what sort of ££££££ will i be looking at for this box? would it be a fully reconed box? and would i need to do a swap with mine?

The bgh Long 1st type 9 is less than a grand. New gearsets in a reconned case. modified oilway system. He'll need a bog standard type 9 in exchange (to use the case for another build).

I paid a grand for the box and diff.....to the right spec... you may struggle with the mounts for your diff i recall they differ to sierra .....

The diff ratio is right just get it working