What is wrong

the bear

I am looking for opinions and potential solutions. :durr:

Very new to sprinting and had my first event at North Weald.

The following link to my site shows a run, not a brilliant one.

:(

http://www.freewebs.com/bear-racing/speedseriesdiary.htm

Can you experienced chaps tell me is the lack of progress off the line down to

A. The driver is a t##ser

B. New A048R's and a damp track

C. Too short first gear.

D. None of the above (suggestions)

As you can hear (hopefully) the car is on the rev limiter and I only moved about 6 foot.

Your help will be appreciated.

Mal

Assuming you don't have a limited slip diff, then it looks and sounds to me that most of your power went into spinning the nearside rear tyre which is a probably a combination of b) and c)  ;)  

I wouldn't like to comment on a) without having met you  :t-up:  :p  :D

If you do actually have an LSD then it's not working very well :down:

edited to add that it's not easy to see exactly what's happening and the tyre smoke could be from the side exhaust rather than the NSR tyre  :t-up:  the revs started low but hit the limiter very quickly so I'm guessing at wheelspin  ;)

Looks like a total eclipse to me........... :suspect:

Sounds good though...... :D  :D  :D

Assuming you don't have a limited slip diff, then it looks and sounds to me that most of your power went into spinning the nearside rear tyre which is a probably a combination of b) and c)  ;)  

I wouldn't like to comment on a) without having met you  :t-up:  :p  :D

If you do actually have an LSD then it's not working very well :down:

edited to add that it's not easy to see exactly what's happening and the tyre smoke could be from the side exhaust rather than the NSR tyre  :t-up:  the revs started low but hit the limiter very quickly so I'm guessing at wheelspin  ;)

No LSD I have confirmed it is wheelspin on NSR, is it just a case of bedding in the tyres?

Hi,

I'm not a speed series competitor (yet), but ran 048's on the road for a while after finishing my car.  With some wear on them the difference in grip was quite significant (as in much better).  Notwithstanding that, they always proved to be a bit wild on damp roads.

IMHO they just need a bit of 'running in'.

Darren  :)

B & C  :D  :D  :D  Having met you bet you're glad I didn't say A  :D  :D  :D  :D  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:

What is your limiter set at ?? anyway

Did you get your tyres buffed a little ?? New tyres always have some "release oil", kind of residue, when brand new this combined with a damp track can make for loads of wheel spin.

In wet/damp conditions don't be embarassed by using second to start - it can sometimes be smoother :D  ;)  ;)

A good quick and smooth start requires practice  ;) Its all part of the learning curve  :D  ;)  ;)

Its all about seat time in the car on track  ;)  ;) and best way is to find a suitable private road, or car park and practice starts - its nothing like boy racer at the traffic lights  :D  :devil:  :D

tiny first gear doesn't help but..

Idea is to get the clutch out the way as soon as possible and then regulate wheel spin to a minimum with your right foot until you can lay down full power...

PS - my 64ft foot time at harewood was 3 hours 23 minutes last sunday due to wet conditions so take the best bits of advice and ignore the rest!

edit to add:  this helps keep your clutch changes down to a minimum during the season

Some good advice and thanks for not taking option A.

It seems that the tyres need breaking in and I need to practice.

Mark rev limiter is set to 6k, engine is 1700 xflow full rebuilt with aldon lotus twin cam dizzie and 234 cam. Do you think it should be set nearer to 7k?

I know Nob Ravin run his nearly at 10K but his engine is a bit special!

Not sure about this release agent stuff. I've just bought some new avon slicks from BMTR and their advice was to go straight out of the box. last year when I was running the zetec on 32r's I stormed the hill at Olivers on my fist run, and noticed no real increase in grip as time went on.

You're much better to control the "break adhesion point" with the clutch and not spin the wheels IMHO. You will go much quicker when cornering at the limit of adhesion, the same applies to braking

You're much better to control the "break adhesion point" with the clutch and not spin the wheels IMHO.

Wish my clutch could handle a season of these :down:

Did you find an LSD?

Yes mate, thanks, I'm taking it to be built tomorrow.

Is it Kevin crankshaft now? Tough buddy, know how you feel!! :t-up:

Er Guys.........

Noted thread hijack here :(  :D  :D

Any chance of an opinion on me problem Mr Navin in return for the push at Curborough! :D  :D