What tyres to run at north weald

Jan Coombes

I'm going to get my car flat floored this Friday ready for the 1st round of the SS, well I will if I can get the car finished.

I have toyo Proxies on the wheels at the mo, and a set of ACB10's but only one set of wheels.

So what do you think I should go for Proxies or ACB10's

Weather report

Sunday 20/3  Get Details

Overcast with rain possible

High 13°C

Sunday Night 20/3  Get Details

Clear periods

Low 4°C

Jan what has the weather got to do with this, what tyres are you gonna be running in the SS? what ever they are use them.

Sorry I miss read this post, I thought you were asking which tyres to get your car Flat floored with... :blush:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead::durr:

Off road tyres would be better so that you can cope with all the coat hangers and general detritis left behind from the car boot sales.

lol. Lovin that dickie - aint that what its like down the locost end of the paddock.........!

edited to say - thats where i ll be or not far away in the kits/rgb so i dont know what i am talking about.

Well, the Proxes are 1A and the ACB's are 1B. I would have thought the class you've entered in would be the determining factor on tyre choice...

jan, i would use a semi intermediate with an isometric tread patern, and set your themostat on the tyre pre warmers to 33 degrees !!!! :p  :p  :p  :p  :p

Get yourself some "Town & Country's"  :D  :D  :D  :D  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:  :D

In all seriousness, the only choice is ACB10s.  It is unusual for it to be wet for the whole day.  There is a higher chance it will be dry or damp for at least one run.

I'm in F so I can use either, just heard lots of people say there's not a lot of grip on ACB10's in the wet.

So there for it maybe better to cut my losses and keep the Proxes on.

I only have 1 set of rims, so I need to make my mind up before hand.

I can't see ACB's being *worse* than Proxes in the wet, so I think I'd go with the ACB's...

If there is standing water the ACBs are going to be miles slower.  You only have to look at the Autocar test on a Caterham from a few years ago.

Sense to me would be the Proxies BUT

how bad do you want to win and who else is in your class on the day.

If its wet and you are on ACB10's you will be painfully slow/scared.

If its dry and your on Proxies you will still be able to have a good laugh on them and set some reasonably quick time.

the only other answer is buy some more 15's or blag some before the event

:D