fixing Handbrake and gearstick Gaitors

highwayman

Ok, I want some luxury having a carpet, before the minimalists and lightweights start giving me jip?!!

Any tips?

I am also using chrome plates to surround the gaitors too

Dave.

I've found its best to fit the carpet before final fitting of the scuttle as its easier to get to the ' awkward' areas

Dave

Haven't you read the manual? It says: "the gaitors have been fitted to you carpet"  but on mine I had to do this:

stoel006.jpg

The gaitor under the handbrake is being eaten by the teeth of said handbrake though!

WF told me to return the carpet/gaiters to them once I'd cut the holes, and they would get them stitched in.

The gaitor under the handbrake is being eaten by the teeth of said handbrake though!

Funny, my handbrake has taken a good chew on the gaitor too.

I put some chrome finishers over the carpet and gaitors, and riveted the lot down.   Looks neat, and less hassle than sewing it all together.

Available from the various kit car shows for a couple of quid.

Pinto Pete,

I've recently gone through SVA with said crome plates and had no issues  :)  :)

Good choice of engine by the way.. power to the pinto clan...  :D  :D  :D

• Like 1

Kit car shows often have bargain stuff on sale.   I was talking chrome finishers in my posting, I got the missus to make a couple of gaiters from some vinyl offcuts.

Pinto Pete,

I've recently gone through SVA with said crome plates and had no issues  :)  :)

Good choice of engine by the way.. power to the pinto clan...  :D  :D  :D

Seconded! We all know pinto's are best.  Duractec's?? puh!

Regarding gaiters. Another thing that can be done is securing the chrome plate to the tunnel with washers underneath to space it up a bit then get a gaiter with an elasticated bottom and put it around the chrome plate. Means you don't have to have the chrome showing and you can replace the gaiter without picking out all the stitches. It also looks very neat.