Pics of first outing

StrikerBob

Dickie - will see what scrutineer says - don't think the seat can be lowered........ :(

Body roll was due to super soft damper settings to try to get some grip.........very cold and wet day!

Rob - bought the car as is, so don't know about mesh - can't even recall if it has it on! Another thing to check! Doh! Need to check regs, cos I don't remember that either!

Interesting though, that if you look at some pics of other (road) cars, plenty of drivers heads are popping above the line between the cage and the highest hard point under the bonnet - i.e. the bit it would most likely hit if rolled.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention chaps, but let's not get hung up on it eh?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrikerBob

• scott beeland

• I.S.M

• custardtart

Bvgger! You've got me paranoid about it now!!

Checked the pics and I think it's marginal (black helmet).

The section of horizontal cage to the driver's right kicks up if you look carefully. So if it turned turtle, the line to be concerned about is from the highpoint there, to the section of rollcage on the opposite side.

Of course, it could be argued that your head needs to be 10" below the cage in case you roll on grass and it digs in.........It's an argument that's easy to lose.

On some pics, the helmet is slightly above the line of the cage - on others it isn't!!?? Maybe it depends on how tight my butt cheeks are clenched!!!???

Guess what I'll be doing tonight......................!! :p

I think the reg reads something along the line of any holes need to be covered with 1mm holed mesh or front facing louvers.

The only exception to this is for air intake which has to have a seal from the edge of the bonnet to the carbs.

HTH

Rob

I remember the car when it was raced before, it was always up there which is good but means "the car's crap" is one less excuse from the drivers hand book. :D  :D  :D

As for the cage, i think all it would need is a an additional semi circle hoop welding on over the drivers head area. I've seen this mod on a few others that had the cage a bit too low plus a lot of the standard westy roll bars sit too low so this is common on them too.

If the scrutineer doesn't like it as is then this is a quick and cheap solution.  :p

GuyH - what motor have you got in yours? If by any chance it's an 1800 Zetec, you want to get out in the 750MC Championship................

Introductions required I think.

We (davidgh and I) have a 4Age 1.6. We've only been sprinting since the middle of last year, and are about to start our first SS in Class A, so 750MC is not even a consideration....

.. yet !!   :p  :D  :p

Looks good though! Seems to be a lot of body roll......

I was thinking that, can you not run with ARB's ???

It may not be pursued by the scrutineers, however, having seen the results of a "7" upside down, I would suggest that the small cost of a roll hoop is cheaper than a claim on the life insurance...

For a few quid is it worth not doing !

Hehe! I've started summat here aven't I??!!

Rob - checked the regs:

"..........any other holes in the upper surface of the bodywork forward of the steering wheel plus any holes in the side surfaces of the bodywork forward of the steering wheel above a longitudinal line joining the top of the front and rear wheel rims, must be covered with solid bodywork having only a forward facing opening, forward facing louvres or with a metallic gauze with a maximum hole size of 1mm..........."

Can't make any sense of that, other than to say that I THINK I'm OK with mine cos they are forward facing holes.

My radiator inlet/grille has some black chicken mesh - holes MUCH bigger than 1mm. Holes underneath that don't have any mesh...........

CustardTart - yeah - I'm going to have to dig deeper into the racing driver's book of excuses than that!!!

GuyH - hope you have fun with the sprinting, but believe me, it's much more fun when there are 20-odd other idiots heading for the same corner at the same time!!!!!!!!! :D

Bananaman - I'm not touching the set up of the car for now - need to shake the rust off first (me, not the car!;). Once I'm happy I'm getting the most out of both me and it, then I'll think about changing things if needs be.............

Westfieldman - very kind offer mate, but think the distance is a bit much...........you over east coast way yeah?

I think you'll find that the holes on the side of your bonnet, are just holes, and are not forward facing. Therefore they'll either need a forward facing scoop (which may be banned as it alters the silhouette/aerodynamics) or they will need 1mm gauze - which is difficult to find.  The front of the nosecone (rad opening) and holes beneath are fine - no mesh required.

Also, I think you'll find that the MSA Blue Book specifies that the top of the helmet to the top of the roll cage should be 50mm minimum..... Worth checking (can't find mine at the mo)