Mechanical speedo

felters

Having a tidy up last night!

VDO mechanical speedo. It's a 790 tpm unit refurbed last year by JDO Instruments at a cost of £50. Unused since as it didn't fit the CF dash I put in 8-(  

£30 inc p&p

:D

Is it the flat bezzel or round?

If flat I will take it.

Ta Dave

Hi Felters,

How do the mechanical systems work? Cable into the gearbox?

How do you adjust it for different gearing etc...?

I'm going to try and get through SVA with a Sigma bike speedo but this might be a useful back up if that idea fails.

I'm running 1800 zetec with RS2000 4 speed rocket box.

Ta

Geoff  

:)

Calculating the gearing is fairly easy assuming you've got a speedo cable fitted. You mark the tyre with chalk, push the car forward so that it rotates 10 times and at the same time count the number of rotations of the speedo cable. The further you push the car the more accurate the calculation will be. Then measure how far the car went on 10 turns of the wheels and a quick bit of maths and you'll have the number of speedo cable turns per mile - you should be looking for a value between 700-1200 or so.

You can get inline cable gearboxes from Smiths... I've had a bike speedo and dumped it after a week as it took too long to read. The problem with SVA is I think they require the speedo to be backlit.

Cheers

Mike

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.