Track day questions....

McSpreader

Hi guys - I am after some info.

I am aiming to get the Westy out to a couple (maybe more) track days this year - and now that the weather is starting to improve, I am starting to make plans...

I am based in the Northampton area - so where are reasonably close, good for beginner tracks.  Don't get me wrong, a fancy giving it a good thrash - but would rather somewhere that suited the car to encourage me to do more track days.

Also, may seem a very obvious point, but I am concerned about booking a date in the future and when the big day comes it is chucking rain - not good.  Do any tracks etc. have very late (a couple of days) notice for booking?

When the big days arrives - what are the essential preparations, provisions etc....

Thanks - must really make it no the next local meet as I am sure there is plenty of assistance.......

Si

Mallory Park - July 30 organised by the WSCC  :D  :D  :D  one of the cheapest track days around good VFM  :D  :D  :D

Novice drivers group  :D  :D  Many helpful folks around the paddock and possibly some tuition  :D  ;)

Mark is right - the Mallory day is excellent as there are loads of WSCC people to help out.

You could (should) also look at airfield days.  Sure, they are not as prestigious, but there is nothing to hit except grass.  They are the best place to find your limits (and the car's, but you'll find yours quicker! ) - trust me, even proper race tracks have crash barriers, airfields don't!

Dickie

Had a day around Bedford Autodrome the other day, very few things to hit, huge run offs and 3.6Miles a lap. Recommend this venue to anyone. :)  :)  :)

Also Rockingham speedway is a pretty friendly circuit, only one sodding great concrete wall to hit, and pretty close to you :)

You could (should) also look at airfield days

Great advice, Javelin or Motorsport events have these venues covered really......In fact MSE have a Westfield only event at Kevil in May, follow the thread in this section for more info.

Essential provisions.

You will need a crash helmet and at the very least clothing that covers your arms and legs. Arrive early, get plenty of fuel/know were the petrol station is. Check the cars fluids and brakes etc., warm it up properly before driving in anger and cool it down afterwards. Build up speed with confidence, understand the overtaking rules and flags at the venue and take a camera. Would also recommend booking/getting tuition on the day, as this truly will help you get the most from the day.

Enjoy and see you out there :D

At the risk of sounding unhelpful, have a quick search through the archives on here because there's lots of useful tips on there about car preparation, what to bring, etc.

But the most important thing, IMHO, is to look after the driver, i.e. you :t-up:.  The main thing to remember is that, unless you've been keeping it a secret, you are *not* Michael Schumacher :D .  Ergo, there's no point trying to set the world alight in the first session of your first trackday.

Take it easy, build up some confidence and then.... get an instructor :t-up:  Most trackdays have instructors on hand for a nominal extra cost and they are well worth it.  Explain what you think you want and they should help you accordingly.

Once you've been enjoying the day you will be going quicker and feeling more confident.  That's the time to slow down and take it easy because you'll be tired and maybe a little over-confident and so accidents might be more likely to happen.  End the day on a high rather than spoiling it :t-up:

In summary - just have fun and remember that although it's your first trackday, it's unlikely to be your last  :D  :D

one thing to add to the "get an instructor", is make sure he/she has an intercom setup if possible, otherwise you cannot hear a thing they say whilst your out on track, which negates much of their help IMHO.

regards,

greg

I did my first track day last year at Mallory with WSCC - like Mark says loads of other WSCC people there to advise and support etc

Airfield trackdays good for plenty of runoff, but may need to tape your rear arches as stonechips can be very bad - also can be hard on tyre wear so wouldn't recommend 'soft' tyre compounds eg one day round airfield with acb10's = new set of tyres

Most of all though - enjoy !!