THAMES VALLEY AREA

shaun

Meeting this Sunday 11th April from noon onwards

at

The Bird in Hand

Knowl Hill

A4 (Bath Road)

Come along even if its only for a quick 10 minutes - we are a friendly bunch despite what others might say.  You are guaranteed to be made welcome :D  :D

Topic of discussion -

1. Change of venue - looking for alternative venues so if you know of a pub in the Thames Valley area that would be suitable - large car park, beer garden adjacent to car park, cheap food and drink etc. then please post your ideas here.

2. Stoneleigh Kit Car Show - 2-3 May - plans for route and meeting points.

3. Thames Valley Sports Car show - Hambleden on Sunday 9th May

4. Le Mans

Change of venue - looking for alternative venues so if you know of a pub in the Thames Valley area that would be suitable

There is a pub called the Shire Horse at Littlewick Green which is only a mile or so from our current watering hole. There are usually a few sports cars in the car park so I guess getting in and out would not be a problem ground clearance wise. I think it’s a Chef and Brewer and its got a big garden and car park. It may be worth a look on Sunday.

I seem to remember Shaun asked them a while ago and they were none too keen ??? Couldn't see the sense in it myself as what better whay to bring in the passing trade than a bunch of nice shiney Westies ?

I think if you head back towards Reading there is a layby with a Kebab van in it. Maybe we could try this for a change ? ;)

Change of venue - looking for alternative venues so if you know of a pub in the Thames Valley area that would be suitable

There is a pub called the Shire Horse at Littlewick Green which is only a mile or so from our current watering hole. There are usually a few sports cars in the car park so I guess getting in and out would not be a problem ground clearance wise. I think it’s a Chef and Brewer and its got a big garden and car park. It may be worth a look on Sunday.

Mike, would have been an excellent choice, good size, large carpark and beer garden,

but as Mark says, I asked the landlord when we were originally looking for a venue 2 years ago.  He wasn't interested in the noise and hassle factor.

Anyone know the Lands End pub, Lands End Lane, outskirts of Twyford (RG10 0UE)

Does anyone know of a decent pub along the Thames, maybe Maidenhead - Marlow - Henley and perhaps beyond - any preference to location because Thames Valley extends from Berks into Oxfordshire?

chaps, can you narrow down the location a bit, where is Knowl Hill, couldnt readily locate in route finder, which side of Reading is it on the A4?

Depends if I manage to get the car running this week, may make a good shake down run.

cheers

Steve

Anyone know the Lands End pub, Lands End Lane, outskirts of Twyford (RG10 0UE)

Yes I went there a couple of days ago, new landlord (tennant), much improved. The only very slight problem coming from the Wokingham side is the Ford. The chances of getting a Westfield across the river is nil so we would need to go round the long way. I think it could be a good choice, bikers use it as well.

1. Change of venue - looking for alternative venues so if you know of a pub in the Thames Valley area that would be suitable - large car park, beer garden adjacent to car park, cheap food and drink etc. then please post your ideas here.

Why change?

Have we been asked to move, or are we just no longer welcome?

I won't be there, but put me down for a "No" to moving, unless we have no choice........

Why change?

Have we been asked to move, or are we just no longer welcome?

I won't be there, but put me down for a "No" to moving, unless we have no choice........

The consensus seems to be that soft drinks are too expensive, other than that the venue is ideal, staff are friendly and helpful, location easy to find, ample parking and good food.

Just thought I would open the debate to find an alternative if there is one, so any thoughts................

Are the soft drinks going to be that much cheaper anywhere else? This is the Thames Valley broker/lawyer belt after all..........May be worth a ring round the likely venues to see just how much of a difference it makes. If it's more than 15p a drink, I'd be surprised.......

Make sure any new venue has equally good food too. No point in saving the pennies if we have to go somewhere else to eat........

Are the soft drinks going to be that much cheaper anywhere else? This is the Thames Valley broker/lawyer belt after all..........May be worth a ring round the likely venues to see just how much of a difference it makes. If it's more than 15p a drink, I'd be surprised.......

Make sure any new venue has equally good food too. No point in saving the pennies if we have to go somewhere else to eat........

I agree......

just need to way up any alternatives.

Will see you and your better half on Sunday then  :arse:  :D

Will be there in my 'Westy stand-in until I can afford another one' which reminds me I need to change the avatar :blush:

Does anyone know of a decent pub along the Thames, maybe Maidenhead - Marlow - Henley

The Flower Pot at Aston (Remenham Hill). Great pub if you like to look at glass cases full of stuffed fish, single track road access though, near the river. All the kitchen shots for Pie in the Sky were done there.

Will see you and your better half on Sunday then  

Er......

:p:D

We'll be in Cornwall..........

Does anyone know of a decent pub along the Thames, maybe Maidenhead - Marlow - Henley

The Flower Pot at Aston (Remenham Hill). Great pub if you like to look at glass cases full of stuffed fish, single track road access though, near the river. All the kitchen shots for Pie in the Sky were done there.

Good location.

What's the pub like - car park, beer garden, access etc.

Do you think it would be suitable?

Very rustic but full of character! I will see if I can get the car down the lane without grounding it and let you know Sunday.

Very rustic but full of character! I will see if I can get the car down the lane without grounding it and let you know Sunday.

See if you can speak to the landlord while you are there to find out how they feel about car clubs, meetings etc.

Ta