NC250

Craigieboy

4 hours ago, Flying Carrot Steve said:

There has been a series on TV about the NC500, I think it's called something like The Most Beautiful Road In The World. I was considering buying a camper and the NC500 would be top of my list of roads to travel. So when I saw what's in the attached pics it made me chuckle, beautiful scenery, amazing villages, wonderful coastline, then tons and tons of campers 😂😂😂

20240818_021849.thumb.jpg.d41d06d94c3271fd20cd01c37c591f9b.jpg

20240818_021907.thumb.jpg.a6156cae0af9a49e5028c4da3796c33d.jpg

20240818_021940.thumb.jpg.589f296bc27fc7f23b2c5472b3bef431.jpg

20240818_015617.thumb.jpg.bc2c3c1abc19f9081a2bacc4304ddd10.jpg

@Flying Carrot Steve You hire it and I'll do the navigation.

Might even do mates rates too...

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Craigieboy said:

Nice one. Hopefully you did it the correct way, anticlockwise and not clockwise as per the official route. That way all the best bits are at the end so every mile South the views just keep getting better.

We did this... Inverness - Applecross- Gairlock- Ullapool- Tongue- Wick- Inverness 

loved every moment 

Andy

I’m thinking of doing it in my camper (Vito so nice and small) as it will be nice to see the lovely scenery for a change. 

Of course I will be pulling over on single track to let others pass unlike the majority we tend to see there 🤬

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kingster said:

I’m thinking of doing it in my camper (Vito so nice and small) as it will be nice to see the lovely scenery for a change. 

Of course I will be pulling over on single track to let others pass unlike the majority we tend to see there 🤬

Yeah spot on, exactly what I'd love to do and there is sooo much more off of the official route, especially on the West Coast. Vito perfectly sized.

6 minutes ago, Greenstreak-Andy D said:

We did this... Inverness - Applecross- Gairlock- Ullapool- Tongue- Wick- Inverness 

loved every moment 

Andy

Good, glad you enjoyed it. I find the East Coast a bit bland, though it has its benefits. Once you've been to JoG, there's no need to go back. My point of going anticlockwise was that your saving the best bits to the end.

Do it that way the next time 😁

16 minutes ago, Craigieboy said:

there is sooo much more off of the official route, especially on the West Coast.

To be honest, despite having been up there pretty much every year since 2018 and twice this year (in the westy and lately the Lotus) I don’t think I have ever actually done the official 500 as there are so many other roads to drive that we prefer. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Craigieboy said:

I'd like to do it in a small camper, Transporter or Transit size. The problem when diving a good car is when the road opens up, the right foot goes down and you miss out on some scenery. Slow time would be good 👍 

Yes after chatting to my barber today I'm thinking along the lines of that size instead of a bigger thing. Transporter, Transit, Vito type size. Maybe LWB and hitop. The big lumps are a pain to park anywhere apparently. 

• Like 1

On 29/08/2024 at 17:08, Craigieboy said:

Wow, 71' didn't even have colour then and yeah now there is the Kessock and Kylesku bridges. I don't think it's spoiled really, just made it more accessible. The big change was of course covid when anyone with a 300k mile transit van thought they could put some cheap stickers on it and call it a camper! Apart from the German coach, first time in 8 years I've seen one up there, the roads were clear. Indeed the congestion down on the South Coast was much worse.

So good I'm going back up this weekend 😁

This was the car of the day. It blew its exhaust in Drumnadrochit and all I could do was buy some fire bandage or somesuch, no exhaust places outside Edinburgh or Glasgow. I have pictures from the trip but as yet unscanned.

cItjHk1.png

13 minutes ago, Man On The Clapham Omnibus said:

This was the car of the day. It blew its exhaust in Drumnadrochit and all I could do was buy some fire bandage or somesuch, no exhaust places outside Edinburgh or Glasgow. I have pictures from the trip but as yet unscanned.

cItjHk1.png

Lucky Nessie didn't get you. Must have been quite an adventure back then, with the A9 being and still is the only main road North only doable by crossing the ferry at North Kessock. Its hard to imagine in this day an age!

2 hours ago, Man On The Clapham Omnibus said:

cItjHk1.png

Is that a Singer? 

9 hours ago, Flying Carrot Steve said:

Is that a Singer? 

No - correct maker but wrong badge. It is a Hillman Minx which was later known as a Hillman Hunter but in that model year only the 1725cc model was dubbed Hunter and the 1500cc one was a Minx which was a model name long used by Rootes Group in the Hillman marque.

The code name when it was being set up for production was Arrow and it was Rootes' attempt at competing with the Ford Cortina.

• Thanks 1

I knew it looked familiar, my dad had a Singer Gazelle but also a Hillman Minx! Ah, happy days 

• Like 1