Setting up a South Wales group?

Mat Jackson 1975

How would I go about setting up a South Wales local group?  I was AO for the area about 10 years ago before I sold my first car, and now I’m back in ownership would be good to get a local area running (I think there are a few South Wales owners).  Plus we are not far from Bristol and Bath our Hertfordshire So joint events in the summer could be an option..

Happy to be the AO to get it going - but what’s the process for getting started?

• Like 4

I'm sure you will get some support from us guys just over the bridge.

I would have been over this year already but my passport has expired. 

Hey I'm part Welsh, I'm allowed to stir things up! 😂

• Haha 2

Hi Mat, I will send you a message during next week about becoming an AO, I do apologise for not replying to your email last week but I have only just landed back from my holiday.  I am slowly catching up with everything so please bear with me.  Thank you for your interest and thank you for your patience.  Julie 

• Like 4

Hi Mat,

looking forward to seeing your new Westfield.

I was looking at the member map at the national show and most south wales members seem to be east of Cardiff, so roads around Usk - Chepstow can be good for an evening drive out.  Certainly get more lotus cars when we head that way.

I thought for a while that we could mix club lotus runs with WSCC runs.  Some of the lotus guys are ex Westfield owners.  We do quite a few runs and meets with Morgan owners club as well. They are a good group. 

I’m definitely up for doing more runs out  with the Westfield.

• Like 2

There is a south wales Facebook page, but no one has posted in there for years. 

Ince the new baffle haus is open I’m sure that could be a good venue for a regular meet as well.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, kik1.6se said:

There is a south wales Facebook page, but no one has posted in there for years. 

Ince the new baffle haus is open I’m sure that could be a good venue for a regular meet as well.

NEW Baffle Haus? Is there more than one then? I'm over the bridge north east of Bristol and have yet to visit BH. Plenty of people say it's definitely worth a visit. 

Mat

As the the AO over the bridge I've collected a few S Wales folk so happy to co-ordinate with them and arrange some joint drives/meets.

Regards

Chris

• Like 2

I'm definitely up for this. I have a long list of roads for blats too. Baffle Haus is lovely and 10 minutes up the road from me, but it's so busy on weekends and you quite often can't park in there. Anyway, happy to assist in any organising of meets etc 👍👍

• Like 2

On 14/07/2024 at 18:21, kik1.6se said:

Hi Mat,

looking forward to seeing your new Westfield.

I was looking at the member map at the national show and most south wales members seem to be east of Cardiff, so roads around Usk - Chepstow can be good for an evening drive out.  Certainly get more lotus cars when we head that way.

I thought for a while that we could mix club lotus runs with WSCC runs.  Some of the lotus guys are ex Westfield owners.  We do quite a few runs and meets with Morgan owners club as well. They are a good group. 

I’m definitely up for doing more runs out  with the Westfield.

I think 'mixed make' blats are a good idea, I arranged a few some years ago now and they were always great fun and the turn out was always bigger than just kits alone. 

On 14/07/2024 at 19:43, Flying Carrot Steve said:

NEW Baffle Haus? Is there more than one then? I'm over the bridge north east of Bristol and have yet to visit BH. Plenty of people say it's definitely worth a visit. 

Yes, it’s near Cowbridge. It used to be a brains pub called the old post, but they have done a huge amount of work to spice it up.  They have opened a cafe in the barn conversion next door, but just opening during the days on weekdays at the moment as they haven’t got the space or enough staff to open more. The main building should be finished September, but it looks like a lot of work left to do.

The original baffle haus is very good, but as Darren says, car parking space is very limited.  The new place has better parking which will be good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Flying Carrot Steve said:

I think 'mixed make' blats are a good idea, I arranged a few some years ago now and they were always great fun and the turn out was always bigger than just kits alone. 

Yes and the lotus club, vx220 club and Morgan club have less turn out than they used to, so mixing together can be good. 

• Like 1

Next lotus owners club is 2nd Thursday of August. We will meet in Usk, leaving at 7pm and finishing at the anchor inn Tintern. Had a pretty good turn out last month, so fingers crossed for good weather.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, kik1.6se said:

Next lotus owners club is 2nd Thursday of August. We will meet in Usk, leaving at 7pm and finishing at the anchor inn Tintern. Had a pretty good turn out last month, so fingers crossed for good weather.

That sounds great! I owned a Lotus myself many years ago, an Elan +2s130. I loved that car and it's still on the road somewhere in the UK. I live in hope of seeing her again one day ❤️❤️❤️

Another club I belong to, KitNet.uk  has had meetings at The Anchor a few times. A very atmospheric place to be near the Abbey, the woods and the Wye. 

And of course famous as the place where T'internet was invented 😂

• Haha 1

Gutted - we literally go on holiday that night!!!