Full cage and half doors - how do you get in...

Mat Jackson 1975

Just planning the work we are doing on our new car - had half doors on my last one (which i loved) and fancy going full cage on this one.  I`ve seen a few people with half doors and cage fitted, but wondered how do you get in and out?

What's the knack?

Mat

People tend to get in from the top with a cage fitted, regardless of having doors or not.

No offence but I've never seen anyone climb in from the top. I definitely couldn't get in that way. 

I don't have half doors but given they fold right back I'd say getting in with a full cage should be the same whether you have doors or not. 

It's not a lot different from getting in with no cage. Assuming it's a RHD car, left leg in and stand on chassis cross rail, duck under the top bar, hold onto the cage, lift right leg in and stand on the same chassis rail, then use the cage to lower yourself down into the seat. 

At 6 foot, 63, and 16¾ stones I'm definitely not gonna try and climb in from the top, would probably break something and I don't mean on the car 😂

1 hour ago, Flying Carrot Steve said:

No offence but I've never seen anyone climb in from the top. I definitely couldn't get in that way. 

I don't have half doors but given they fold right back I'd say getting in with a full cage should be the same whether you have doors or not. 

It's not a lot different from getting in with no cage. Assuming it's a RHD car, left leg in and stand on chassis cross rail, duck under the top bar, hold onto the cage, lift right leg in and stand on the same chassis rail, then use the cage to lower yourself down into the seat. 

At 6 foot, 63, and 16¾ stones I'm definitely not gonna try and climb in from the top, would probably break something and I don't mean on the car 😂

I think the issue with half doors and a cage is that they dont fold back!!  Might just try it and work it out from there!!

Mat

2 hours ago, Mat Jackson 1975 said:

but wondered how do you get in and out?

Normally when I don’t have my roof/hood on I drop down through the top, half doors on or off. 

When I have my roof on, it’s as Steve describes then put the half door on afterwards. This is dependent on how you have fixed your half doors (assuming Carbon NV ones), mine just jam in between the cage and the scuttle and that seems to hold ok 👍🏼 

Mine would come off dead easy and slot back into place. Or you can easily climb in from the top as mentioned. 

XSP_0021.thumb.jpeg.3202b55a8e9a3ff33ca1be70f9f2aa54.jpeg

• Like 1

On my old sprint car, which had a full cage but no half doors, I usually climbed in and out over the top. Much the easiest. The cage had a side impact protection member (like in Kingster's picture above) which I stood on with my right leg, then over the top with my left leg, sit on the back of the cage to pull my right leg in, and then slid down into the seat. 

Getting out was the reverse process. Dead easy. Oh, and I was in my late 60's when I stopped sprinting and sold the car, and I wasn't very fit.

• Like 2

Blimey, I'm gonna have to try this top entry system now! If I get stuck I'll blame you lot 😂

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Flying Carrot Steve said:

Blimey, I'm gonna have to try this top entry system now! If I get stuck I'll blame you lot 😂

Video required I think Steve 🤣🤣

• Haha 1

Why do I have images of Santa stuck in the top of a chimney in my head? 

Tbh it had never even entered my mind to try and get in via the top. It just looks a bit small to me. I find it fairly easy to get in via the side, I would have thought it even more easy for small or slim people. 

I am definitely going to have to try top entry now I've been told it seems to be the way most people do actually do it, so I stand corrected! Every day is a school day in Westfield World!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, stephenh said:

On my old sprint car, which had a full cage but no half doors, I usually climbed in and out over the top. Much the easiest. The cage had a side impact protection member (like in Kingster's picture above) which I stood on with my right leg, then over the top with my left leg, sit on the back of the cage to pull my right leg in, and then slid down into the seat. 

Getting out was the reverse process. Dead easy. Oh, and I was in my late 60's when I stopped sprinting and sold the car, and I wasn't very fit.

Did you have to stand on the seat to do this? I think that's one reason I went side entry when I got the car, cos I just stand on the chassis rail in the footwell. I have the Cobra Sport Turbo seats and didn't want to risk tearing them up.

Ah, no I had a JK Composites glass fibre seat. 

Whether or not I actually stood on the seat I honestly can't remember. But I think that I tried to avoid it, by putting my heels on the chassis cross-member just in front of the seat. It is quite a while ago. Just checked, and my final season in the Speed Series was 2015, so I sold the car in the autumn of that year, almost 9 years ago.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Flying Carrot Steve said:

Did you have to stand on the seat to do this?

I think I did some of the time. JKs so was no biggie. But if you did the athletic Olympic parallel bars manoeuvre then you could swing in with aplomb. 

(Never looked that graceful when I tried the aplomb bit - more like ow-me-plums)

• Haha 3

Oh wow I'm just catching up with this thread. Same here @Flying Carrot Steve I didn't even know going in from the top was a thing!

Going to try it later in the comfort of my own private garage with no-one looking. If you never hear from me again, it didn't work 😂

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Paul Baker said:

Oh wow I'm just catching up with this thread. Same here @Flying Carrot Steve I didn't even know going in from the top was a thing!

Going to try it later in the comfort of my own private garage with no-one looking. If you never hear from me again, it didn't work 😂

I hope you've got plenty of head-room, or you'll have a very sore bonce!

• Haha 2