Summer Headgear

DanH

Being a baldi I like to wear a baseball cap in my westy, it helps keep the sun off my head and acts as a good sun visor, but I can't find one that'll stay on my head (even with a windscreen) without doing it up so tight my eyes are popping out of their sockets!

What's your go to hat that stays on your head in the summer months?

Trying to avoid having to wear a helmet but I am considering some ear defenders, the type that have a band over your head which would hopefully help keep my hat on!

• Like 2

Got this one from sports direct a few years ago for my Mx5. It's elasticated and a tight fit, best if found so far.

I'm also using Galaxy ear pods with noise cancelling, work well and I can answer a call if required. 

20240703_202531.jpg

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DanH said:

Being a baldi I like to wear a baseball cap in my westy, it helps keep the sun off my head and acts as a good sun visor, but I can't find one that'll stay on my head (even with a windscreen) without doing it up so tight my eyes are popping out of their sockets!

What's your go to hat that stays on your head in the summer months?

Trying to avoid having to wear a helmet but I am considering some ear defenders, the type that have a band over your head which would hopefully help keep my hat on!

Hiya Dan, being a brother baldi, I have recently had the same issue. My new Westy cap with yellow trim to match, worn for less than 15 mins on route to Malvern is somewhere betwixt M6 Junc 10 & 9 southbound.
However, I received a replacement for Father’s Day 😎 and on the recommendation from fellow Westy club members, have invested a full £9 on a curly harness/lanyard to secure the cap to the roll-bar & keep a wooly hat in the car too just in case. 👍

• Like 1

As a fellow slap head, I turn my Westfield cap around when going over 60mph. Not lost it yet. Still keeps sun off your head too 😃 

• Like 2

If your hat is blowing off, put a lanyard on it and put the other end on to the harness eyeblot. If it comes off your head at least you won't lose it. 

• Like 3

@DanH as you saw at the last meet, I sewed my cap up so it was tight enough to stay on unless strongly provoked! With no doors or wind deflectors I still need to turn it round once above about 50 or 60 say. Adding the wind deflectors and half doors changes that completely though, and I can drive at ‘motorway speeds’ 😉 with no problem. I must say, the lanyard idea seems excellent so I may well try that too for when the doors/screens come off.

• Like 1

I used to wear a buff turned into a bandana when I had my aeroscreened westfield

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mat Jackson 1975 said:

I used to wear a buff turned into a bandana when I had my aeroscreened westfield

I wear a wooly beanie most of the year and a Buff on the one day a year when it's too warm for the beanie.

D

• Like 1

Not a great photo, but you get the idea. 

20240704_162704.jpg

• Like 1

Use some elastic on mine as it's more forgiving when you try to get out with your cap still on! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

These problems come down to wearing a hat with a brim.  I've never had brimless headgear blow off.

D

• Like 1

Bit of cord sewed on. Loose bead just to stop the sprung bobble (from an old rucksack) falling off.

Just to give you a laugh, when you feel the cap getting loose, you just open your mouth to tighten your cap again!! 
Technical issue is that the bead can hit you in the face so tuck it in!!

IMG_6824.thumb.jpeg.902e9e433ec511a8e15def2d05fdc93c.jpeg

IMG_6825.thumb.jpeg.8a330a69637744381307e6b294aaec23.jpeg

IMG_6823.thumb.jpeg.13a14eb7505db9cf957b02e3e395a2e2.jpeg

As you can see from the faded nature of my cap, this system works as I haven’t lost it 🤪

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Stuart said:

Use some elastic on mine as it's more forgiving when you try to get out with your cap still on! 

Knowing my luck, with elastic it’d snap & catapult mi yed 

• Haha 1

Velcro strips, attached to scalp and inside of cap.

• Haha 4

If you go on Amazon and search for "hat straps" you'll find loads!

Alternatively, you can also buy toupee tape for that stylish string free look 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3