Caterham vs Westfield (oh no...)

Mat Jackson 1975

I know this is a sensitive subject, but value honest opinions on here...

Im looking to come back into Westfield ownership, but have been offered a nice Caterham roadsport as a swap for my VX220.  Is there anyone with experience of both Caterham and Westfield who can coment on how they both compare, and is there anything particular to be wary off with a Caterham.

Car is 1600 K series, but engine will be being upgraded to 1800 with cams to get a bout 175bhp.  My maths suggest that's similar to a 200bhp Westie power to weight wise..

Steps back and waits for abuse...

Mat

K-series is an interesting engine, they mod quite well and produce good power but have a reputation of being fragile especially issues with head gaskets/warping heads. Good write up on this here.

As for the Caterham vs Westfield thing. Dunno, I couldn't justify the price of a Caterham but could squeak the Westfield into budget...

Spotted your post on SELOC about the caterham. From what I’ve heard and from experience of our local lads that have had both, a Caterham “out of the box” is a fair bit better than the average Westy. But a well built and well setup westy can easily match or exceed it - for a lot less £££

Having researched the K series while on my original quest for an Elise, I think they are not as bad as they are made out to be, but you do need to be sure the head gasket is ok. 

But if you really want a Caterham this one is the kiddie. Been trying to chase it around the highlands - without much luck in the keeping up department 🤣

image.thumb.png.70e1a2396f09205d9056de721cb1240b.png

360bhp with a sequential box - utterly bonkers. 

• Like 3

Thanks Chris,

The one Im looking it is a mere 140 BHP, but think I can get a 1.8 engine and get it closer to 175bhp...

Thanks,

Mat

• Like 1

My nephew had a k series caterham (1.4 iirc) and it was a great car (till he wrapped it round a lamp post).

The head gaskets are pretty much a solved problem if you get the correct land rover gasket and bolts from a reputable source.

I do seem to remember there being a thing with caterhams and imperial and metric chassis, the imperials being a bit harder to get parts for, and the change over being done some time during the k series production.

David

I think the caterhams are good cars..have driven a few in track..

Depending on model they are much smaller in cockpit so depending on your size can be a good or bad thing..

K series can be a great engine but as others have said make sure head gasket is sorted..

1 minute ago, Mole said:

I think the caterhams are good cars..have driven a few in track..

Depending on model they are much smaller in cockpit so depending on your size can be a good or bad thing..

K series can be a great engine but as others have said make sure head gasket is sorted..

Am I correct in thinking, all bar the SV model are basically what in the Westfield world would be called the Narrow body, sure I read that somewhere ?. 

It's a very personal decision I think, pros and cons for both.

If the deal is good for you and you like the car, then go for it.

My reasons for going Westfield were size (I'm 6ft 5) and budget.... at the time, my first 165bhp Westfield cost far less than the cheapest Caterham.... then, for the price of my current 250ish bhp MegaS2000 I'd have been looking at a comparatively pedestrian Caterham 270.

Oh, and in terms of weight, there isn't as much in it as you'd think.

9 hours ago, Rob Hunter - Club Secretary said:

Oh, and in terms of weight, there isn't as much in it as you'd think.

Interesting - here’s what mine weighed with some fuel and would be a “420” in Caterham speak. 

image.thumb.jpeg.cfcd4c69820851a691817349fb07695a.jpeg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Kingster said:

Interesting - here’s what mine weighed with some fuel and would be a “420” in Caterham speak. 

That's a great illustration!

Caterhams 270, 310, 420, 485 nomenclature (big word of the day 😂) would suggest all their cars are 500kg which simply isn't the case.

4 hours ago, Rob Hunter - Club Secretary said:

That's a great illustration!

Caterhams 270, 310, 420, 485 nomenclature (big word of the day 😂) would suggest all their cars are 500kg which simply isn't the case.

Indeed. A mate has a “420” with a 210bhp Duratec and we were very evenly matched when it came to acceleration. So I suspect his was no lighter than mine in reality (both caged with aeroscreens)

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Kingster said:

Kingster - that’s quite an impressive weight.  What is your car spec and what have you stripped out to get down to that weight?

6 minutes ago, Mat Jackson 1975 said:

Kingster - that’s quite an impressive weight.  What is your car spec and what have you stripped out to get down to that weight?

Not got the car any more but it was decked out with a reasonable amount of carbon (aeroscreen, cycle wings, tunnel top, dash) and had other lighter items like wilwood calipers, 13” cxr wheels, grp seats, alloy bellhousing and a lithium battery. Would have been lighter without a cage though!

Got a bit heavier with me it of course 🤣

• Haha 2