• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

iPhone users - photo related - resolved.

Richard (OldStager)

Hi, is there a way to turn off the 2 second-ish clip that seems to appear in every photo I take, I never use them and it seems a waste of memory to me . So when I take a picture there is a .jpeg and .mov file of the same thing. Also whilst I am here what percentage to let your phone get down to before plugging in, as I am trying to maximise the life of the battery I have enabled the 80% charge in the settings, but unsure of the best time to recharge and not get caught out when out and about.

Richard, You need to switch 'live' off  tap on the circle on the top rhs, tap again and it toggles back to live

Screenshot2024-05-09at18_53_45.jpeg.352fa43f55962901c20fbdb82c1a3c93.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Hi Richard - the clips are called "live photos" - to turn them off go to the camera and click on the second icon from the left (the icon is a dot surrounded by a solid ring then a dashed ring). I would take a photo for you but I need my phone for that!  Sorry, can't answer your battery question.

• Thanks 1

Aha - synchronous posts! The icon looks the same on my phone, just in a different place!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thank you all, that seems to be a default to on then. Will check this out thank you all.

ETA

All done set to off thank you, I wonder what the point of it was, all it did was produce a somewhat slo mo vid of the photo.

Any thoughts on battery?.

2 hours ago, Richard (OldStager) said:

Hi, is there a way to turn off the 2 second-ish clip that seems to appear in every photo I take, I never use them and it seems a waste of memory to me . So when I take a picture there is a .jpeg and .mov file of the same thing. Also whilst I am here what percentage to let your phone get down to before plugging in, as I am trying to maximise the life of the battery I have enabled the 80% charge in the settings, but unsure of the best time to recharge and not get caught out when out and about.

The live mode is actually quite handy at times. The phone is clever and picks the best frame from the video as the still. For instance, if taking a picture of someone, it will pick the frame with their eyes open generally, or you can manually choose it.

Batteries last longest when you run them down all the way before recharging. Constant recharging from half full reduces the capacity more quickly I believe. It should last pretty well on the new one, and you can also enable low power mode which helps it last longer by turning off certain non essential services. It’s in the battery menu in settings.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Stuart, that makes sense now I have had it explained, well I don't tend to take many pics of humans, and generally take 2 or 3 of the same photo, so I can choose which to keep / delete. Regarding the battery, will do then. Trouble with buying a refurb one you don't get all the extras, like a manual. Apple do one, but its online only, I prefer a downloadable one but hey ho. 

• Richard (OldStager) changed the title to iPhone users - photo related - resolved.
16 minutes ago, Richard (OldStager) said:

generally take 2 or 3 of the same photo

Consider Live mode a more advanced/automatic version of doing that, with the phone picking the best shot.

@Stuart Davis (fatblokestu) AO - Devon & Somerset

If I am understanding you correctly then, the two files I see on the PC, one being the "live" one and the second whichever the "live" one decided was the best image to use?.

21 minutes ago, Richard (OldStager) said:

@Stuart Davis (fatblokestu) AO - Devon & Somerset

If I am understanding you correctly then, the two files I see on the PC, one being the "live" one and the second whichever the "live" one decided was the best image to use?.

I must admit, I don’t often (ever!) view things on the PC, I do everything on my phone. On the phone you can edit which image is used as the key image, or convert it or copy it just as a still. This little video shows me editing a Live Photo I took of a bird flying into its nest this evening to choose the best image from the sequence, all done on my phone.

• Thanks 1

I didn't know it could do that, cool stuff thanks. Yeah I tend to use the PC for all pic and video editing, mainly it's because I understand the tech and also because the screen is bigger, I realise that phones have taken over from the PC a bit, but I can't let it go, lol. I'm not a luddite, I just enjoy "old school" things.

• Like 1